Detachable connecting fittings failure loads on plywood furniture; pp. 113–117Full article in PDF format | doi: 10.3176/proc.2015.1S.07
The main objective of this study is to find the most suitable detachable joint for plywood details. Connecting fittings of different type were tested under failure loads. Both tensile and shear tests were used. The test specimens are made from 21 mm thick birch plywood. Lamello AG products Clamex P10, Clamex P15, and Invis Mx and Minifix connectors with dowel as joint type have been used. The test results showed that the Invis Mx has the highest average strength value in tensile test and Minifix with beech dowel in shear test. Based on the test results, the best fitting for connecting plywood boards was determined.
1. Eckelman, C. Textbook of Product Engineering and Strenght Design of Furniture. Prude University, West Laffayette, Indiana, 2003.
2. Vassiliou, V. and Barboutis, I. Screw withdrawal capacity used in the eccentric joints of cabinet furniture connectors in particleboard and MDF. J. Wood Sci., 2005, 51, 572–576.
3. Lamello AG homepage. www.lamello.com (accessed 12.03.2014).
4. Yerlikaya, N. C. and Aktaş, A. Enhancement of load-carrying capacity of corner joints in case-type furniture. Materials and Design, 2002, 37, 393–401.
5. Yerlikaya, N. C. Effects of glass–fiber composite, dowel, and minifix fasteners on the failure load of corner joints in particleboard case-type furniture. Materials and Design, 2012, 39, 63–71.
6. Smardzewski, J., Lewandowski, W., and Özgür Imirzi, H. Elasticity modulus of cabinet furniture joints. Materials and Design, 2014, 60, 260–266.
7. Nandanwar, A., Naidu, M. V., and Pandey, C. N. Development of test methods for wooden furniture joints. Wood Mater. Sci. Eng., 2013, 8, 188–197.
8. Zhang, J.-L. and Eckelman, C. A. The bending moment resistance of single dowel corner joints in case construction. Forest Prod. J., 1993, 43, 19–24.
9. Dalvand, M., Ebrahimi, G., Tajvidi, M., and Layeghi, M. Bending moment resistance of dowel corner joints in case-type furniture under diagonal compression load. J. Forestry Res., 2014, 25, 981–984.
10. Erdil, Y. Z. and Eckelman, C. A. Withdrawal strength of dowels in plywood and oriented strand board. Turk. J. Agric. Forestry, 2001, 25, 319–327.
11. İmirzi, H. Ö. and Efe, H. Analysis of strength of corner joints in cabinet type furniture by using finite element method. In Proc. XXVIth International Conference Research for Furniture Industry, Poznań, Poland, 2013, 49–55.
Back to Issue