Good cementing properties, fast setting and strong thermal performance make calcium aluminate a valuable raw material for use in the production of different types of new refractory materials, e.g., heat conductive/storage materials. The main aim of the study was to determine thermal properties of novel Nb-slag based materials with different fillers, and to clarify the optimal composition and technology. The preparation process of the studied materials was the following: mixing of components, casting into moulds and hardening of materials. To estimate potential application areas, the following thermal properties of CA-based materials were investigated: thermal behaviour, the coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE) and conductivity. For thermal analysis, small cylindrical specimens were cut out from produced materials, and plates sized 25 × 300 × 300 mm were used for conductivity studies. Different compositions of CA-based materials, the hardening process, and the influence of mechanical activation on the strength were analysed. The best thermal properties similar to the analogous reference materials were obtained by quartz sand and granite sand as filler materials. The thermal conductivity of the novel CA-based material is 1.5 times higher and the bending strength is about 3 times higher compared to commercial thermoplates.
1. Batalin, B. Harm and benefits of slags landfills. J. Nature, 2001, 1(10), 162–165.
2. Kulu, P., Goljandin, D., Külaviir, J., Hain, T. and Kivisto, M. Recycling of niobium slag by disintegrator milling. Key Eng. Mater., 2019, 799, 97–102.
3. Kulu, P., Goljandin, D., Viljus, M., Traksmaa, R. and Gregor, A. Heat conductive plates from recycled niobium slag. Solid State Phenom., 2021, 320, 169–175.
4. EVS-EN ISO 10081-1:2005. Classification of dense shaped refractory products – Part 1: Alumina-silica.
5. Shishkin, A., Mironov, V., Zemchenkov, V., Antonov, M. and Hussainova, I. Hybrid syntactic foams of metal – fly ash cenosphere – clay. Key Eng. Mater., 2016, 674, 35–40.
6. Rugele, K., Lehmhus, D., Hussainova, I., Peculevica, J., Lisnanskis, M. and Shishkin, A. Effect of fly-ash cenospheres on properties of clay-ceramic syntactic foams. Materials, 2017, 10(7), 828.
7. Baronins, J., Setina, J., Sahmenko, G., Lagzdina, S. and Shishkin, A. Pore distribution and water uptake in a cenosphere-cement paste composite material. IOP Conf. Ser. Mater. Sci. Eng., 2015, 96, 012011.
8. Cebud. Fireplace stoves made of Akubet.
9. CEN Standard EN 196-1:2016. Methods of testing cement – Part 1: Determination of strength.
10. Standard EVS-EN 12667:2001. Thermal performance of building materials and products – Determination of thermal resistance by means of guarded hot plate and heat flow meter methods – Products of high and medium thermal resistance.
11. Bumanis, G., Bajare, D. and Goljandin, D. Performance evaluation of cement mortar and concrete with incorporated micro fillers obtained by collision milling in disintegrator. Ceramics-Silikáty, 2017, 61(3), 231– 243.
12. Goljandin, D. and Kulu, P. Disintegrators and Disintegrator Treatment of Materials. LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing, Saarbrücken, 2015.