Recently fibreless solutions have become a trend in the design of sustainable and environmentally friendly duct silencers. In this respect microperforated panels have been proved to provide adequate performance for the substitution of unfavourable fibrous material layers commonly used in mass-produced silencers. This paper presents an acoustic study of microperforated elements aimed for effective and eco-friendly noise control solutions. Several microperforated sheet metal panels have been experimentally tested in a variety of layered configurations to maximize the sound absorption coefficient in the expected operational frequency range. The optimal solutions have been implemented in the design of novel fibreless solutions, presented in this research, and compared with typical fibrous material filled units commercially available. The results of the study demonstrate the appropriateness of the double-layered microperforates for a duct silencer application as well as for a variety of NVH (noise, vibration, and harshness) imple- mentations where potent noise absorption is aimed for.
1. Maa, D. Y. Theory and design of microperforated panel sound-absorbing constructions. Sci. Sin., 1975, 18(1), 55–71.
2. Maa, D. Y. Microperforated-panel wideband absorbers. Noise Control Eng. J., 1987, 29(3), 77–84.
3. Maa, D. Y. Potential of microperforated panel absorber. J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 1998, 104(5), 2861–2866.
4. Kabral, R., Rämmal, H., Lavrentjev, J. and Auriemma, F. Acoustic studies on small engine silencer elements. SAE Technical Paper 2011-32-0514, 2011.
5. Lavrentjev, J. and Rämmal, H. On experimental techniques to determine acoustic performance of small exhaust silencers. SAE Technical Paper 2009-32-0015, 2009.
6. Kabral, R., Rämmal, H., Auriemma, F., Luppin, J., Kõiv, R., Tiikoja, H. and Lavrentjev, J. A novel design for cruiser type motorcycle silencer based on micro-perforated elements. SAE Technical Paper 2012-32-0109, 2012.
7. Auriemma, F., Rämmal, H. and Lavrentjev, J. Micro-grooved elements – a novel solution for noise control. SAE Int. J. Mater. Manuf., 2013, 6(3), 599–610.
8. Rämmal, H. and Lavrentjev, J. Endurance of micro-perforated elements in unmanned ground vechicle’s small diesel engine silencer application. SAE Technical Paper 2019-32-9533, 2019.
9. Rämmal, H. and Lavrentjev, J. Reliability study of micro-perforated elements in small engine silencer application. SAE Technical Paper 2017-32-0075, 2017.
10. Sakagami, K., Yairi, M. and Morimoto, M. Multiple-leaf sound absorbers with microperforated panels: An overview. Acoust. Aust., 2010, 38(2), 76–81.
11. Sack, S. and Åbom, M., Modal filters for mitigation of induct sound. Proc. Meet. Acoust., 2016, 29, 040004.
12. Allam, S. and Åbom, M. Fan noise control using microperforated splitter silencers. J. Vib. Acoust., 2014, 136(3), 031017.
14. ISO 10534-2:1998. Acoustics – Determination of sound absorption coefficient and impedance in impedance tubes – Part 2: Transfer-function method.
15. Lavrentjev, J. and Rämmal, H. Experimental study of noise barrier boards with increased acoustic performance by utilizing Helmholtz resonator effects. Mater. Today: Proc., 2020, 28(4), 2566–2571.
16. Rämmal, H., Åbom, M., Tiikoja, H. and Bodén, H. Experimental facility for the complete determination of sound transmission in turbochargers. SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1424, 2010.
17. Lavrentjev, J. Multi-port models for source characterization of fluid machines. PhD thesis. Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden, 1998.
18. Lavrentjev, J., Rämmal, H. and Tiikoja, H. The passive acoustic effect of automotive catalytic converters. SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0219, 2011.
19. ISO 7235:2003. Acoustics – Laboratory measurement procedures for ducted silencers and air-terminal units – Insertion loss, flow noise and total pressure loss.
20. Villau, M., Rämmal, H. and Lavrentjev, J. Innovative fibreless HVAC duct silencer based on microperforated elements. Mater. Today: Proc., 2021, 47, 3154.