UWB monopole patch antenna with two H-shaped slots and dual-band notch for WLAN and WiMAX applications; pp. 148–154Full article in PDF format | 10.3176/proc.2021.2.05
Ultra Wide Band (UWB) denotes a wireless technology developed to transfer data at high rates over very short distances and at low power densities. In this paper, a highly miniaturized monopole antenna with a dual-notch band is presented for Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN) and Worldwide Interoperability for Microwave Access (WiMAX) systems. The overall size of the broadband antenna was reduced to 22 mm2 × 20 mm2, which improved the UWB operation in the frequency range (2.4 GHz‒9.6 GHz). Etching two H-shaped slots on the radiating patch of the antenna was implemented to reject the WiMAX frequency range from 3.1 GHz to 3.9 GHz and the WLAN frequency range from 5.1 GHz to 5.9 GHz. Thus, the monopole patch antenna has dual H-shaped slots etched on the radiating patch. The antenna was printed on FR4 dielectric substrate and fed by a coplanar waveguide (CPW). The coaxial feed was used to obtain an impedance matching of 50 Ω. The antenna exhibits omnidirectional and bi-directional radiation performance in the H- and E-planes, respectively. In addition, it was tested and verified in practice.
1. Yassen, M. T., Hussan, M. R., Hammas, H. A., Salim, A. J. and Ali, J. K. Design of compact dual-band fractal monopole antenna with virtually extended ground plane. Adv. Electromagn., 2018, 7(4), 19‒26.
2. Ojaroudi, M., Ghanbari, G., Ojaroudi, N. and Ghobadi, C. Small square monopole antenna for UWB applications with variable frequency band-notch function. IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., 2009, 8, 1061‒1064.
3. Abayaje, F. and Febvre, P. A small size monopole UWB antenna used for short distance wireless baseband transmission at high data rate. In 2017 International Workshop on Antenna Technology: Small Antennas, Innovative Structures, and Applications (iWAT), Athens, Greece, March 1‒3,2017. IEEE, 296‒299.
4. Shaker, A., Zainud-Deen, S. H., Mahmoud, K. R. and Ibrahem, S. M. Compact Bluetooth/UWB antenna with multi-band notched characteristics. J. Electromagn. Anal. Appl., 2011, 3(12), 512‒518.
5. Hammache, B., Messai, A., Messaoudene, I. and Denidni, T. A. A compact ultra-wideband antenna with three C-shaped slots for notched band characteristics. Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., 2019, 61(1), 275‒279.
6. Ali, T., Aw, M. S. and Biradar, R. C. A A compact bandwidth enhanced antenna loaded with SRR for WLAN/WiMAX/ Satellite applications. Adv. Electromagn., 2018, 7(4), 78‒84.
7. Ojaroudi, M., Ghobadi, C. and Nourinia, J. Small square monopole antenna with inverted T-shaped notch in the ground plane for UWB application. IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., 2009, 8, 728‒731.
8. Debab, M. and Mahdjoub, Z. Characteristics UWB Planar Antenna with dual notched bands for WIMAX and WLAN. Adv. Electromagn., 2018, 7(5), 20‒25.
9. Abdollahvand, M., Dadashzadeh, G. and Mostafa, D. Compact dual band-notched printed monopole antenna for UWB application. IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., 2010, 9, 1148‒1151.
10. Gargade, P. and Gahankari, S. Dual-band-notched UWB printed monopole antenna. International Journal of Research Publications in Engineering and Technology, 2017, 3(3), 34‒37.
11. Fei, P., Jiao, Y. C., Hu, W. and Zhang, F. S. A miniaturized antipodal Vivaldi antenna with improved radiation characteristics. IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., 2011, 10, 127‒130.
12. Li, T., Zhai, H. Q., Li, G. H. and Liang, C. H. Design of compact UWB band-notched antenna by means of electromagnetic-bandgap structures. Electron. Lett., 2012, 48(11), 608‒609.
13. Sharma, M. M., Kumar, A., Yadav, S. and Ranga, Y. An ultra-wideband printed monopole antenna with dual band-notched characteristics using DGS and SRR. Procedia Technol., 2012, 6, 778‒783.
14. Kumar, M. and Nath, V. Introducing multiband and wideband microstrip patch antennas using fractal geometries: Development in last decade. Wirel. Pers. Commun., 2018, 98(2), 2079‒2105.
15. Azari, A., Ismail, A., Sali, A. and Hashim, F. A new super wideband fractal monopole-dielectric resonator antenna IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., 2013, 12, 1014‒1016.
16. Ali, J. K., Yassen, M. T., Hussan, M. R. and Salim, A. J. A printed fractal based slot antenna for multi-band wireless communication applications. In Proceedings of Progress in Electromagnetics Research Symposium, Moscow, Russia, August 19‒23, 2012.
17. Ali, J. K. A new microstrip-fed printed slot antenna based on Moore space-filling geometry. In 2009 Loughborough Antennas & Propagation Conference. IEEE, 449‒452.
18. Ghatak, R., Biswas, B., Karmakar, A. and Poddar, D. R. A circular fractal UWB antenna based on Descartes circle theorem with band rejection capability. Prog. Electromagn. Res. C, 2013, 37, 235‒248.
19. Tripathi, S., Mohan, A. and Yadav, S. A compact Koch fractal UWB MIMO antenna with WLAN band-rejection. IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., 2015, 14, 1565‒1568.
20. Hu, Z., Hu, Y., Luo, Y. and Xin, W. A novel rectangle tree fractal UWB antenna with dual-band notch characteristics. Prog. Electromagn. Res., 2016, 68, 21‒30.
21. Balanis, C. A. Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design. John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, 2016.
22. Siddiqui, J. Y., Saha, C. and Antar, Y. M. M. Compact dual-SRR-loaded UWB monopole antenna with dual frequency and wideband notch characteristics. IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., 2015, 14, 100‒103.
23. Sohail, A., Alimgeer, K. S., Iftikhar, A., Ijaz, B., Kim, K. W. and Mohyuddin, W. Dual notch band UWB antenna with improved notch characteristics. Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., 2018, 60(4), 925‒930.
24. Tripathi, S., Yadav, S. and Mohan, A. Fractal UWB antenna with dual 3.5/5.5 GHz notched band. IEEE Indian Antenna Week, 2014.
Back to Issue