Multilevel cascaded three-phase inverter with low-voltage ride-through flexible control capability for photovoltaic systems; pp. 331–345Full article in PDF format | 10.3176/proc.2020.4.08
A potential solution for medium and large-scale solar power plants connected to a grid is the multilevel cascade H- bridge (CHB) inverter. Nevertheless, it has not been thoroughly studied how it operates during voltage sags. An easy strategy for controlling the operation of solar grid-connected CHB inverters in periods of unstable voltage sags is presented in this paper. The main contribution of this study is the fact that the proposed strategy is capable of infusing both reactive power, which represents the so-called low-voltage ride-through capability (LVRT), and active power into the grid with either stable or unstable currents, the so-called low-voltage ride-through capability (LVRT), and active power into the grid with either stable or unstable currents, as well as maintaining voltage balance of all DC-link capacitors. To obtain gate signals, phase-shifted sinusoidal pulse width modulation (PWM) technique is applied. Under various unbalanced voltage sags, the performance of the proposed strategy for the operation of a grid-connected CHB converter was illustrated and validated through a computer simulation platform. Moreover, an experimental setup for a 5-level CHB inverter using MOSFET switches with 5 kHz switching frequency was implemented to reveal the effectiveness of the proposed strategy. The Texas instrument DSP C2000 micro-controller TMS320F28335 was used to detect control, modulation and protection functions in real time and simultaneously. The developed system was tested under severe and light unbalance conditions, and the results show that this system can handle a single-phase voltage sag and be used as a practical light unbalance conditions, and the results show that this system can handle a single-phase voltage sag and be used as a practical device for AC grids.
1. Fuentes, C. D., Rojas, C. A., Renaudineau, H., Kouro, S., Perez, M. A., and Meynard, T. Experimental validation of a single DC bus cascaded H-bridge multilevel inverter for multistring photovoltaic systems. IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., 2017, 64(2), 930–934.
2. Sochor, P. and Akagi, H. Theoretical comparison in energy-balancing capability between star- and delta-configured modular multilevel cascade inverters for utility-scale photovoltaic systems. IEEE Trans. Power Electron., 2016, 31(3), 1980–1992.
3. Yu, Y., Konstantinou, G., Hredzak, B., and Agelidis, V. G. Power balance optimization of cascaded H-bridge multilevel converters for large-scale photovoltaic integration. IEEE Trans. Power Electron., 2016, 31(2), 1108–1120.
4. Townsend, C. D., Yu, Y., Konstantinou, G., and Agelidis, V. G. Cascaded H-bridge multilevel PV topology for alleviation of per-phase power imbalances and reduction of second harmonic voltage ripple. IEEE Trans.n Power Electron., 2015, 31(8), 5574–5586.
5. Yu, Y., Konstantinou, G., Townsend, C. D., Aguilera, R. P., and Agelidis, V. G. Delta-connected cascaded H-bridge multilevel converters for large-scale photovoltaic grid integration. IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., 2017, 64(11), 8877– 8886.
6. Irusapparajan, G., Periyaazhagar, D., Prabaharan, N., and Jerin, A. R. A. Experimental verification of trinary DC source cascaded H-bridge multilevel inverter using unipolar pulse width modulation. Automatika, 2019, 60(1), 19–27.
7. Annamalai, T., Udhayakumar, K., Anitha, S., Pachaikani, D., Sasikumar, P., and Mythily, M. Energy efficient reference tracking modified enhanced H-bridge multilevel inverter. In 2019 IEEE 1st International Conference on Energy, Systems and Information Processing (ICESIP). Chennai, India, July 4–6, 2019, 19228339.
8. Guisso, R., Andrade, A., Hey, H., and Martins, M. d. S. Grid-tied single source quasi-Z-source cascaded multilevel inverter for PV applications. Electron. Lett., 2019, 55(6), 342–343.
9. Akagi, H., Inoue, S., and Yoshii, T. Control and performance of a transformerless cascade PWM STATCOM with star configuration. IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., 2007, 43(4), 1041–1049.
10. Goetz, S. M., Wang, C., Li, Z., Murphy, D. L., and Peterchev, A. V. Concept of a distributed photovoltaic multilevel inverter with cascaded double H-bridge topology. Int. J. Electr. Power Energy Syst., 2019, 110, 667–678.
11. Yu, Y., Konstantinou, G., Hredzak, B., and Agelidis, V. G. Operation of cascaded H-bridge multilevel converters for large-scale photovoltaic power plants under bridge failures. IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., 2015, 62(11), 7228–7236.
12. Ipoum-Ngome, P. G., Mon-Nzongo, D. L., Flesch, R. C., Song-Manguelle, J., Wang, M., and Jin, T. Model predictive current control based on generalised adjacent voltage vectors approach for multilevel inverters. IET Power Electron., 2019, 12(13), 3590–3599.
13. Xiao, B., Hang, L., Mei, J., Riley, C., Tolbert, L. M., and Ozpineci, B. Modular cascaded H-bridge multilevel PV inverter with distributed MPPT for grid-connected applications. IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., 2015, 51(2), 1722–1731.
14. Ota, J. I. Y., Shibano, Y., and Akagi, H. A phase-shifted PWM D-STATCOM using a modular multilevel cascade converter (SSBC)â€”part ii: zero-voltage-ride-through capability. IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., 2015, 51(1), 289–296.
15. Chen, H.-C., Wu, P.-H., Lee, C.-T., Wang, C.-W., Yang, C.-H., and Cheng, P.-T. Zero-sequence voltage injection for DC capacitor voltage balancing control of the star-connected cascaded H-bridge PWM converter under unbalanced grid. IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., 2015, 51(6), 4584–4594.
16. Behrouzian, E. and Bongiorno, M. Investigation of negative-sequence injection capability of cascaded H-bridge converters in star and delta configuration. IEEE Trans. Power Electron., 2017, 32(2), 1675–1683.
17. Yang, Y., Enjeti, P., Blaabjerg, F., and Wang, H. Wide-scale adoption of photovoltaic energy: grid code modifications are explored in the distribution grid. IEEE Ind. Appl. Mag., 2015, 21(5), 21–31.
18. Tafti, H. D., Maswood, A. I., Konstantinou, G., Pou, J., and Blaabjerg, F. A general constant power generation algorithm for photovoltaic systems. IEEE Trans. Power Electron., 2018, 33(5), 4088–4101.
19. Sastry, J., Bakas, P., Kim, H., Wang, L., and Marinopoulos, A. Evaluation of cascaded H-bridge inverter for utility-scale photovoltaic systems. Renew. Energ., 2014, 69, 208–218.
20. Elphick, S., Smith, V., Gosbell, V., Perera, S., Ciufo, P., and Drury, G. Characteristics of power quality disturbances in Australia: voltage dips at low-voltage sites. IET Gener. Transm. Distrib., 2015, 9(15), 2382–2388.
21. Ashourpouri, A., Dargahi, M., and Niaki, S. N. Residential voltage dip and swell mitigation using plug-in hybrid electric vehicle in smart grid. In 2013 Australasian Universities Power Engineering Conference (AUPEC). Hobert, Australia, September 29 – October 3, 2013, 1–5.
22. Eid, B. M., Rahim, N. A., Selvaraj, J., and Williams, B. W. Electronically coupled distributed generation modeling and control strategies for microgrid applications. Appl. Math. Inf. Sci., 2016, 10(4), 1343–1353.
23. Naderipour, A., Abdul-Malek, Z., Ramachandaramurthy, V. K., and Guerrero, J. M. Control method for three-phase grid-connected inverter PV system employing unity power factor (UPF) strategy in microgrid. In E3S Web of Conferences. Rome, Italy, June 28–30, 2019, Vol. 115, 01006.
24. Roy, A. K., Basak, P., and Biswal, G. R. Low voltage ride through capability enhancement in a grid-connected wind/fuel cell hybrid system via combined feed-forward and fuzzy logic control. IET Gener., Transm. Distrib., 2019, 13(13), 2866–2876.
25. Jaalam, N., Rahim, N., Bakar, A., and Eid, B. Strategy to enhance the low-voltage ride-through in photovoltaic system during multi-mode transition. Sol. Energy, 2017, 153, 744–754.
26. Tafti, H. D., Maswood, A. I., Konstantinou, G., Pou, J., and Acuna, P. Active/reactive power control of photovoltaic grid-tied inverters with peak current limitation and zero active power oscillation during unbalanced voltage sags. IET Power Electron., 2018, 11(6), 1066–1073.
27. Arab, N., Vahedi, H., and Al-Haddad, K. LQR control of single-phase grid-tied PUC5 inverter with lcl filter. IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., 2020, 67(1), 297–307.
Back to Issue