The paper is focusing on the research of current technologies of multi-purpose mobile robots, including implementation of modular layout, open software frameworks, self-organization with plug and play (PnP) capability and adaptive sensor fusion. The hardware layout is studied in detail and modular architecture is proposed as an optimal solution of module interconnection. Software modular architecture is developed in the similar principle, taking plug and play connectivity into account. The framework
of the software consists of implementing middleware for the software modularization and three-level hierarchical structure. Practical implementation platforms are introduced and future developments discussed.
1. Saska, M., et al. Navigation, localization and stabilization of formations of unmanned aerial and ground vehicles. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems (ICUAS), Atlanta, GA, USA, May 28‒31, 2013. IEEE, 2013. https: //ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6564767
2. Ahmadzadeh, H., Masehian, E., and Asadpour, M. Modular Robotic Systems: Characteristics and Applications. J. Intell. Rob. Syst., 2016, 81(3‒4), 317‒357.
3. Wang, Y., et al. Building Unmanned Plant Factory with Modular Robotic Manipulation and Logistics Systems. In Recent Developments in Intelligent Computing, Communication and Devices. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, Vol. 752 (Patnaik, S. and Jain, V., eds). Springer, Singapore, 2019, 11‒19.
4. Rassõlkin, A., Sell, R., and Leier, M. Development Case Study of the First Estonian Self-Driving Car, ISEAUTO. Electr. Control Commun. Eng., 2018, 14(1), 81‒88.
5. Sell, R., Leier, M., Rassõlkin, A., and Ernits, J.-P. Self-driving car ISEAUTO for research and education. In Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Research and Education in Mechatronics (REM), Delft, Netherlands, June 7‒8, 2018. IEEE, 2018. https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8421793
6. Rassõlkin, A., Hõimoja, H., and Teemets, R. Energy saving possibilities in the industrial robot IRB 1600 control. In Proceedings of the 7th International Conference-Workshop Compatibility and Power Electronics (CPE), Tallinn, Estonia, June 1‒3, 2011. IEEE, 2011. https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/5942236
7. Väljaots, E., Sell, R., and Rimasauskas, M. Unmanned Ground Vehicle Energy Efficiency Validation in Territory Surveillance Mission. Solid State Phenom., 2016, 251, 164‒170.
8. Väljaots, E., Lehiste, H., Kiik, M., and Leemet, T. Soil sampling automation using mobile robotic platform. Agron. Res., 2018, 16(3), 917‒922.
9. Rassõlkin, A. and Vodovozov, V. A test bench to study propulsion drives of electric vehicles. In Proceedings of the 8th International Conference-Workshop Compatibility and Power Electronics (CPE), Ljubljana, Slovenia, June 5‒7, 2013. IEEE, 2013. https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6601169
10. Kato, S., et al. Autoware on board: enabling autonomous vehicles with embedded systems. In Proceedings of the 9th ACM/IEEE International Conference on Cyber-Physical Systems (ICCPS), Porto, Portugal, April 11‒13, 2018. IEEE, 2018. https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8443742
11. Sell, R., Coatanéa, E., and Christophe, F. Important aspects of early design in mechatronic. In Proceedings of the 6th International Conference of DAAAM Baltic, Industrial Engineering, Tallinn, Estonia, April 24–26, 2008, 177−182. http://innomet.ttu.ee/daaam08/Online/Design%20Engineering/Coatanea-Sell.pdf