In the last few years, white LED lamps (WLEDs) have been popularly used in general lighting because of some excellent properties, such as fast response time, environment friendliness, small size, long lifetime, and high efficiency. In this research, we propose a novel recommendation for improving the lighting performance (in terms of the colour rending index, colour quality scale, and luminous efficiency) of the 7000 K remote-packaging WLEDs by adding the red-emitting Sr2Si5N8:Eu2+ phosphor to the yellow-emitting YAG:Ce phosphor compound. In the first stage, we use MATLAB to investigate the light scattering process based on Mie Theory. After that, we use the Light Tool software to simulate and demonstrate this process. Finally, the simulation results are verified with analytical analysis, which clearly shows that the lighting performance of the 7000 K remote-packaging WLEDs significantly depended on the Sr2Si5N8:Eu2+ concentration. The results provided a potential practical solution for manufacturing remote phosphor WLEDs in the near future.
1. Liu, S. and Luo, X. LED Packaging for Lighting Applications: Design, Manufacturing and Testing. John Wiley & Sons, 2011.
2. Gibney, E. Nobel for blue LED that revolutionized lighting. Nature, 2014, 514, 152–153.
3. Paisnik, K., Rang, G., and Rang, T. Life-time characterization of LEDs. Estonian J. Eng., 2011, 17, 241–251.
4. Luo, X. and Hu, R. Chip packaging: encapsulation of nitride LEDs. In Nitride Semiconductor Light-Emitting Diodes (LEDs), 2014, 441–481.
5. Luo, X., Hu, R., Liu, S., and Wang, K. Heat and fluid flow in high-power LED packaging and applications. Prog. Energy Combust. Sci., 2016, 56, 1–32.
6. Paisnik, K., Poppe, A., Rang, T., and Rang, G. Physics related modeling of power LEDs. In 13th Biennial Baltic Electronics Conference, 2012.
7. Schubert, E. F. Solid-state light sources getting smart. Science, 2005, 308, 1274–1278.
8. Seibald, M., Rosenthal, T., Oeckler, O., and Schnick, W. Highly efficient pc-LED phosphors Sr1-xBaxSi2O2N2:Eu2+ (0 x 1) – crystal structures and luminescence properties revisited. Crit. Rev. Solid State Mater. Sci., 2014, 39, 215–229.
9. Shuai, Y., He, Y., Tran, N. T., and Shi, F. G. Angular CCT uniformity of phosphor converted white LEDs: effects of phosphor materials and packaging structures. IEEE Photon. Tech. L., 2011, 23, 137–139.
10. Minh, T. H. Q., Nhan, N. H. K., Anh, N. D. Q., and Lee, H-Y. Red-emitting α-SrO·3B2O3:Sm2+ phosphor: an innovative application for increasing color quality and luminous flux of remote phosphor white LEDs. J. Chin. Inst. Eng., 40(4), 313–317.
11. Nhan, N. H. K., Minh, T. H. Q., Nguyen, T. N., and Voznak, M. Co-doping green-emitting CaF2:Ce3+, Tb3+ and yellow-emitting phosphor particles for improving the CCT deviation and luminous efficacy of the in-cup phosphor packaging WLEDs. Dig. J. Nanomater. Bios., 12(3), 891–898.
12. Ying, S-P. and Shiu, A-Y. Investigation of remote-phosphor white light-emitting diodes with improved scattered photon extraction structure. Appl. Opt., 2015, 54(28), E30–34.
13. Li, C., Rao, H., Zhang, W., Zhou, C., Zhang, Q., and Zhang, K. Self-adaptive conformal–remote phosphor coating of phosphor-converted white light emitting diodes. J. Displ. Technol., 2016, 12, 946–950.
14. Kim, J. K., Luo, H., Schubert, E. F., Cho, J., Sone, C., and Park, Y. Strongly enhanced phosphor efficiency in GaInN white light-emitting diodes using remote phosphor configuration and diffuse reflector cup. Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., 2005, 44.
15. Luong, V. D., Zhang, W., and Lee, H-R. Chem inform abstract: preparation of Sr2Si5N8:Eu2+ for white light-emitting diodes by multi-step heat treatment. ChemInform, 2011, 42(33).
16. Piao, X., Horikawa, T., Hanzawa, H., and Machida, K-I. Characterization and luminescence properties of Sr2Si5N8:Eu2+ phosphor for white light-emitting-diode illumination. Appl. Phys. Lett., 2006, 88, 161908.
17. Nersisyan, H., Won, H. I., and Won, C. W. Highly effective synthesis and photoluminescence of Sr2Si5N8:Eu2+ red-emitting phosphor for LEDs. Chem. Commun., 2011, 47, 11897.
18. Tapaninen, O., Myohanen, P., Majanen, M., Sitomaniemi, A., Olkkonen, J., Hildenbrand, V., et al. Optical and thermal simulation chain for LED package. In 17th International Conference on Thermal, Mechanical and Multi-Physics Simulation and Experiments in Microelectronics and Microsystems (EuroSimE), 2016.