Fabrication and characterization of ethylene–octene copolymer composites with ionic liquid functionalized carbon nanotubes; pp. 347–353Full article in PDF format | https://doi.org/10.3176/proc.2017.4.05
Modification of multi-walled carbon nanotubes (MWCNTs) by means of imidazolium ionic liquid (IL) was performed. Structural characterization of funtionalized nanofillers (IL-f-MWCNTs) was made by means of Raman spectroscopy and transmission electron microscopy. MWCNTs and IL-f-MWCNTs were introduced within ethylene octane copolymer (EOC) with octene co-monomer content of 17% by using the masterbatch approach. The efficiency of the carbonaceous nanofiller distribution within the polymer matrix was characterized by means of scanning electron microscopy. It was shown that MWCNTs and IL-f-MWCNTs were both effective in rising storage modulus, tensile modulus, stress-at break, and electrical conductivity of EOC-based nanocomposites along with the increasing nanofiller content. Besides, it was observed that the modification efficiency of the investigated EOC matrix composites by IL-f-MWCNTs was greater in comparison to pristine MWCNTs.
1. Meer, S., Kausar, A., and Iqbal, T. Trends in conducting polymer and hybrids of conducting polymer/carbon nanotube: a review. Polym. Plast. Technol. Eng., 2016, 55, 1416–1440.
2. Kausar, A. Advances in polymer/fullerene nanocomposite: a review on essential features and applications. Polym. Plast. Technol. Eng., 2017, 56(6), 594–605.
3. Kausar, A., Rafique, I., and Muhammad, B. Review of applications of polymer/carbon nanotubes and epoxy/ CNT composites. Polym. Plast. Technol. Eng., 2016, 55, 1167–1191.
4. Yin, J. and Deng, B. Polymer-matrix nanocomposite membranes for water treatment. J. Memb. Sci., 2015, 479, 256–275.
5. Paramane, A. S. and Kumar, K. S. A review on nanocomposite based electrical insulations. Trans. Electr. Electron. Mater., 2016, 17(5), 239.
6. Selim, M. S., Shenashen, M. A., El-Safty, S. A., Higazy, S. A., Selim, M. M., Isago, H., and Elmarak, A. Recent progress in marine foul-release polymeric nanocomposite coatings. Prog. Mater. Sci., 2017, 87, 1–32.
7. Khin, M. M., Nair, A. S., Babu, V. J., Murugan, R., and Ramakrishna, S. A review on nanomaterials for environmental remediation. Energy Environ. Sci., 2012, 5, 8075–8109.
8. Bianco, A., Kostarelos, K., and Prato, M. Applications of carbon nanotubes in drug delivery. Curr. Opin. Chem. Biol., 2005, 9, 674–679.
9. Ciardelli, F., Coiai, S., Passaglia, E., Pucci, A., and Ruggeri, G. Nanocomposites based on polyolefins and functional thermoplastic materials. Polym. Int., 2008, 57, 805–836.
10. Fujigaya, T. and Nakashima, N. Soluble carbon nanotubes and nanotube-polymer composites, J. Nanosci. Nanotechnol., 2012, 12, 1717–1738.
11. Punetha, V. D., Rana, S., Yoo, H. J., Chaurasia, A., McLeskey, J. T. Jr., Ramasamy, M. S., et al. Functionalization of carbon nanomaterials for advanced polymernanocomposites: a comparison study between CNT and graphene. Prog. Polym. Sci., 2017, 67, 1–47.
12. Kim, T. Y., Lee, H. W., Stoller, M., Dreyer, D. R., Bielawski, C. W., Ruoff, R. S., et al. High-performance supercapacitors based on poly(ionic liquid)-modified graphene electrodes. ACS Nano, 2011, 5, 436–442.
13. Polo-Luque, M. L., Simonet, B. M., and Valcarcel, M. Functionalization and dispersion of carbon nanotubes in ionic liquids. TrAC Trends Anal. Chem., 2013, 47, 99–110.
14. Tunckol, M., Durand, J., and Serp, P. Carbon nanomaterial–ionic liquid hybrids. Carbon, 2012, 50, 4303–4334.
15. Mensah, B., Kim, H. G., Lee, J.-H., Arepalli, S., and Nah, C. Carbon nanotube-reinforced elastomeric nanocomposites: a review. Int. J. Smart Nano Mater., 2015, 6(4), 211–238.
16. Ivanova, T., Merijs Meri, R., Zicans, J., Grigalovica, A., Roja, Zh., and Reinholds, I. Impact of non-functionalized and ionic liquid modified carbon nanotubes on mechanical and thermal properties of ethylene- octene copolymer nanocomposites. IOP Conf. Ser.: Mater. Sci. Eng., 2016, 111, 1-8, 111 012019.17. Kim, Y. S., Cha, A., Shin, J. Y., Jeon, H. J., Shim, J. H., Lee, C., and Lee, S. G. High-density assembly of gold nanoparticles with zwitterionic carbon nanotubes and their electrocatalytic activity in oxygen reduction reaction. Chem. Commun., 2012, 48, 8940–8942.
Back to Issue