Formation of mixed copper sulphide and silver sulphide layers on low density polyethylene film; pp. 35–39Full article in PDF format | doi: 10.3176/proc.2009.1.06
The amount of copper in the copper sulphide layer and the amount of silver in the modified sulphide layer increased with the prolongation of the period of sulphurization in a polythionic acid solution and also of the treating time of the sulphurized sample in a solution of copper salts. X-ray diffraction results showed various copper sulphides, sulphur, silver, and silver sulphide in the samples. Silver sulphide and silver were formed when ion-exchange and reduction–oxidation reactions took place. A simple route to obtain copper and silver sulphides on polyethylene film is reported.
1. Changqi, X., Zhicheng, Z., and Qiang, Y. A novel facile method to metal sulfide (metal = Cd, Ag, Hg) nano-crystallite. Mater. Lett., 2004, 58, 1671–1676.
2. Ancutiene, I., Janickis, V., and Giesa, R. Formation of copper sulfide layers on the surface of polyethylene films of various density by the use of polythionic acids. Pol. J. Chem., 2004, 78, 349–360.
3. Ancutiene, I., Janickis, V., and Ivanauskas, R. Formation and characterization of conductive thin layers of copper sulfide (CuxS) on the surface of polyethylene and polyamide by the use of higher polythionic acids. Appl. Surf. Sci., 2006, 252, 4218–4225.
4. Janickis, J., Valanciunas, J., Zelionkaite, V., Janickis, V., and Grevys, S. Formation of higher polythionic acids by hydrogen sulfide interaction with sulfurous and thiosulfurous acids. Trans. Lithuanian Acad. Sci. Ser. B, 1975, 88, 83–89 (in Russian).
5. Ancutiene, I., Janickis, V., and Grevys, S. Modification of polyethylene film sulfurized in solution of higher polythionic acids by layers of copper sulfides. Chemistry, 1997, 2, 3–10.
6. Babko, A. and Pilipenko, A. Photometric Analysis. Method for Determination of Non-Metals. Khimiya, Moscow, 1974 (in Russian).
7. Perkin-Elmer. Analytical Methods for Atomic Absorption Spectrometry. Perkin-Elmer, Norwalk, CT, 1973.
8. Ligin, R. А., Аndrejeva, L. L., and Моlochkо, V. А. Reference Book of Inorganic Chemistry. Khimiya, Moscow, 1987 (in Russian).
9. Yamamoto, T., Kamigaki, T., and Kubota, E. Electrically conducting polymer–copper sulfide composite films. Preparation by treatment of polymer–copper(II) acetate composites with hydrogen sulfide. Kobunshi ranbunshu, Soc. Polym. Sci. (Japan), 1987, 44, 327–329.
10. Nomura, R., Konyao, K., and Matsuda, H. Preparation of copper sulfide powders and thin films by thermal decomposition of copper dithiocarbamate complexes. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 1988, 28, 880–887.
11. Sharma, R. C. and Chang, Y. A. The Ag–S (silver–sulfur) system. J. Phase Equil., 1986, 7, 263–269.
Back to Issue