On the inhomogeneity of residual stresses in tempered glass panels; pp. 3–11Full article in PDF format | doi: 10.3176/eng.2012.1.01
The paper shows that the residual stress at the surface of tempered glass panels may vary both locally (at a distance equal to the distance between the cooling jets) and globally, i.e., stresses near the edges and corners of the panels may be considerably different from the stresses in the middle part of the panels. That should be borne in mind while assessing the degree of temper by non-destructive measuring of the residual surface stress.
1. Schiavonato, M., Mognato, E. and Redner, A. S. Stress measurement, fragmentation and mechanical strength. In Proc. International Conference “Glass Processing Days”. Tampere, Finland, 2005, 92–95.
2. Faingold, J. M. Non-destructive instruments offer stress relief to glass fabricators to test for mechanical strength and impact resistance. Verre, 2005, No. 2, 66–69.
3. Carré, H. and Daudeville, L. Analysis of residual stresses and of the load-bearing capacity of tempered glass plates. In Proc. 4th European Conference on Residual Stresses. Cluny en Bourgogne, 1996, 377–386.
4. Dubru, M., Nugue, J.-C. and van Marcke de Lummen, G. Toughened glass: mechanical properties and EN 12600 behaviour. In Proc. International Conference “Glass Processing Days”. Tampere, Finland, 2005, 66–70.
5. Rodichev, Y., Maslov, V., Netychuk, A. Bodunov, V. and Yevplov, Y. Bending strength and fracture of glass materials under the different loading conditions. In Proc. International Conference “Glass Performance Days”. Tampere, Finland, 2007, 615–618.
6. Aben, H., Anton, J., Errapart, A., Hödemann, S., Kikas, J., Klaassen, H. and Lamp, M. On complete non-destructive residual stress measurement in architectural glass panels and automotive glazing. In Proc. International Conference “Glass Performance Days”. Tampere, Finland, 2009, 923–925.
7. Aben, H. and Guillemet, C. Photoelasticity of Glass. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, 1993.
8. Weissmann, R. and Dürkop, D. A novel method for measuring stresses in flat glass. In Proc. XV International Congress on Glass. Leningrad, 1989, vol. 3b, 217–220.
9. Hundhammer, I., Lenhart, A. and Pontesch, D. Stress measurement in transparent materials using scattered laser light. Glass Sci. Technol., 2002, 75, 236–242.
10. Lochegnies, D., Romero, E., Anton, J., Errapart, A. and Aben, H. Measurement of complete residual stress fields in tempered glass plates. In Proc. International Conference “Glass Processing Days”. Tampere, Finland, 2005, 88–91.
11. Romero, E., Lochegnies, D. and Duquennoy, M. Numerical modeling, experimental investigations and stress control for flat glass tempering. In Proc. International Conference “Glass Processing Days”. Tampere, Finland, 2001, 56–62.
Back to Issue