This paper provides an overview on the recent development of coatings and modified surfaces to minimize wear between contact surfaces in high-temperature working environments. The aim of this work was to study the wear of various types of coatings deposited by the PVD (Physical Vapour Deposition) method on TiB2/Ti composites manufactured by Spark Plasma Sintering (SPS). The following coatings were investigated: TiN-TiCrN-AlCrN-AlCrTiN/Si3N4-multilayer, TiN-TiCrN-AlCrN-AlCrTiN/Si3N4-AlCrTiSiN+grad ON, TiN-TiCrN-AlCrN-AlTiCrN and as a reference, a commercially available AlCrN-based coating – all intended to fulfil complex requirements of high-temperature working conditions. The wear tests were performed by means of a ball-on-disc SRV friction and wear tester using reciprocating motion of the Si3N4 ball sliding against a coated disc in a wide range of temperatures from room temperature up to 900 °C. The results confirmed that high-temperature wear resistance depends on the proper design of the coatings.
1. Torres, H., Ripoll, M. R. and Prakash, B. Tribological behaviour of self-lubricating materials at high temperatures. Int. Mater. Rev., 2018, 63(5), 309–340.
2. Kumar, R., Liu, L., Antonov, M., Ivanov, R. and Hussainova, I. Hot sliding wear of 88 wt% TiB-Ti composites from SHS produced powders. Materials, 2021, 14(5), 1242.
3. Mozgovoy, S., Hardell, J. and Prakash, B. High temperature friction and wear performance of PVD coatings under press hardening contact conditions. Adv. Tribol., 2019, 4981246.
4. Tuszyński, W., Kalbarczyk, M., Michalak, M., Michalczewski, R. and Wieczorek, A. The effect of WC/C coating on the wear of bevel gears used in coal mines. Mater. Sci. (Medžiagotyra), 2015, 21(3), 358–363.
5. Moghaddam, P. V., Prakash, B., Vuorinen, E., Fallqvist, M., Andersson, J. M. and Hardell, J. High temperature tribology of TiAlN PVD coating sliding against 316L stainless steel and carbide-free bainitic steel. Tribol. Int., 2021, 159, 106847.
6. Zhang, Z. and Dong, H. A state-of-the-art overview. Recent development in low friction and wear-resistant coatings and surfaces for high-temperature forming tools. Manuf. Rev., 2014, 1, 24.
7. Wu, L., Qiu, L., Du, Y., Zeng, F., Lu, Q., Tan, Z., Yin, L., Chen, L. and Zhu, J. Structure and mechanical properties of PVD and CVD TiAlSiN coatings deposited on cemented carbide. Crystals, 2021, 11(6), 598.
8. Scheerer, H. and Berger C. Wear mechanisms of (Cr,Al,Y)N PVD coatings at elevated temperatures. Plasma Processes Polym., 2009, 6(S1), S157–S161.
9. Cuao-Moreu, C. A., Alvarez-Vera, M., García-Sánchez, E. O., Maldonado-Cortés, D., Juárez-Hernández, A. and Hernandez-Rodriguez, M. A. L. Characterization of a duplex coating (boriding + sputter-deposited AlCrON) synthesized on an ASTM F-75 cobalt alloy. Thin Solid Films, 2020, 712, 138318.
10. Michalczewski, R., Kalbarczyk, M., Mańkowska-Snopczyńska, A., Osuch-Słomka, E., Piekoszewski, W. and Snarski-Adamski, A. et al. The effect of a gear oil on abrasion, scuffing, and pitting of the DLC-coated 18CrNiMo7-6 steel. Coatings, 2019, 9(1), 2.
11. Antonov, M., Hussainova, I., Sergejev, F., Kulu, P. and Gregor, A. Assessment of gradient and nanogradient PVD coatings behaviour under erosive, abrasive and impact wear conditions. Wear, 2009, 267(5), 898–906. https://doi.org/ 10.1016/j.wear.2008.12.045
12. Liu, L., Aydinyan, S., Minasyan, T. and Hussainova, I. SHS produced TiB2-Si powders for selective laser melting of ceramic-based composite. Appl. Sci., 2020, 10(9), 3283.
13. Michalczewski, R., Kalbarczyk, M., Słomka, Z., Hussainova, I., Liu, L. and Antonov, M. Adhesion of AlCrN coating deposited on TiB2/Ti composites sintered by SPS dedicated for high temperature tribological applications. IOP Conf. Ser. Mater. Sci. Eng., 2021, 1140, 012010.
14. Michalak, M., Michalczewski, R., Osuch-Słomka, E., Maldonado-Cortés, D. and Szczerek, M. The effect of temperature on wear mechanism of the AlCrN coated components. Key Eng. Mater., 2016, 674, 233–238.
15. Michalczewski, R., Kalbarczyk, M. and Maldonado-Cortés, D. The method of tribotesting of PVD coated elements in oscillation motion at high temperature. IOP Conf. Ser. Mater. Sci. Eng., 2021, 1140, 012024.