A simulation study to determine the parameters of medicine inventory policy; pp. 376–382Full article in PDF format | https://doi.org/10.3176/proc.2019.4.05
Inventory management for the healthcare system is a very important issue as it is directly related to human lives. A medical warehouse in Kuwait was facing several challenges related to inventory management. Stock-out or overstock of some medications can occur occasionally. Simulation model using Arena was used to study the current inventory system. The model was modified to propose a new continuous review (s, S) control policy for efficient inventory system to fix monthly supply. Optimization problem was formulated using Arena OptQuest tool in order to determine the optimal parameters for the policy that would give high availability of medicines with the lowest total cost.
1. Food Marketing Institute. https://www.fmi.org/ (accessed 2018-12-07).
2. Fernie, J. and Grant, D. B. On-shelf availability: the case of a UK grocery retailer. Int. J. Logist. Manage., 2008, 19, 293–308.
3. Kelle, P., Woosley, J., and Schneider, H. Pharmaceutical supply chain specifics and inventory solutions for a hospital case. Oper. Res. Healthcare, 2012, 1(2–3), 54–63.
4. Al-Fandi, L., Lam, S., and Ramakrishnan, S. A simulation approach to determine inventory release times for a pull system. In Proceedings of IIE Annual Conference, Cancun, Mexico, June 5–9, 2010 (Johnson, A. and Miller, J., eds), 1‒6. https://search.proquest.com/openview/5049e1ee41034c93ea888c1ebe884111/1?pq-origsite=gscholar&cbl=51908 (accessed 2018-10-08).
5. Kammoun, A., Loukil, T., and Hachicha, W. The use of discrete event simulation in hospital supply chain management. In Proceedings of the 2014 International Conference on Advanced Logistics and Transport (ICALT), Hammamet, Tunisia, May 1–3, 2014. https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6864108
6. Suraj, S., Sharma, S., and Routroy, S. Positioning of Inventory in Supply Chain Using Simulation Modeling. IUP J. Supply Chain Manage., 2016, 13(2), 20–32.
7. Gebicki, M., Mooney, E., Chen, S., and Mazur, L. Evaluation of hospital medication inventory policies. Health Care Manage. Sci., 2014, 17(3), 215–229.
8. Krzyzaniak, S. Model of the impact of parameters controlling replenishment in the BS (min-max) continuous review system on the actual inventory availability. Sci. J. Logist., 2015, 11(3), 283–294.
9. Rossetti, M. D. Simulation Modeling and Arena. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hobken, New Jersey, 2016.
Back to Issue