In this article we use artificial neural networks (ANN) in durability analysis of porous bearings. First, we present briefly the results of durability tests of porous sleeves impregnated with synthetic ester oil under different duration of the tests (100, 500, and 1000 h) and bearing temperature (60, 80, and 130 °C) at a rotational speed of 1000 rpm. After each durability test oil samples were removed from the bearings and some chosen parameters were checked (Fourier Transform Infrared spectra and total acid number). In the second stage, the collected data were used in the design of ANN, i.e. work parameters as the inputs and oil properties as the outputs. The tests of various ANN types were performed to achieve the smallest training error and the best performance. The best parameters were achieved for multilayer perceptrons neural networks, and also quite good prediction of oil parameters after the test was observed. The achieved results, i.e. the ANN designed, algorithms, and oil parameters used, were compared with those observed in the previous tests for mineral oil.
1. Kostornov, A. G. and Fushchich, O. I. Exchange of experience. Sintered antifriction materials. Powder Metall. Met. C+, 2007, 46, 503–512.
2. Miller, H. and Tetzlaff, C. Well Oiled. Special and additional lubricants for sintered metal plain bearings. Tribojournal – Klüber Lubrication, 2002, 1, 6–11.
3. Giemza, B., Kałdoński, T., and Król, A. Problem of the service life of self-lubricated friction couples. Solid State Phenom., 2006, 113, 399–404.
4. Król, A., Giemza, B., and Kałdoński, T. Study on the oxidation process of mineral gear and PFPE oil during durability tests of porous sliding bearings. In Proc. STLE/ASME 2010 International Joint Tribology Conference. 2010, 223–225.
5. Hänel, E., Pahl, W., Haspinger, E., and Schuster, K. D. Optimized tribology in sintered metal plain bearings. Joint research project of GKN and Klüber Lubrication at the Westsächsische Hochschule Zwickau. Tribojournal – Klüber Lubrication, 2007, 2, 20–23.
6. Giemza, B. Investigations and Modelling of Operating Characteristics of Porous Sliding Bearings Impregnated by Greases. Doctoral Thesis, Military University of Technology, Warsaw, Poland, 2007 (in Polish).
7. Król, A., Gocman, K., and Giemza, B. Neural networks as a tool to characterise oil state after porous bearings prolonged tests. Mater. Sci. – Medžg., 2015, 21, 466–472.
8. Dreyfus, G. Neural Networks. Methodology and Applications. Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2005.
9. Król, A. Artificial neural networks and their use in logistics. Mater. Manage. Logistics, 2015, 5, 367–378.
10. Electronic Statistics Textbook. Statsoft, 1995 http://www.statsoft.com/textbook (accessed 6 Dec. 2015).
11. Ali, Y. H., Abd Rahman, R., and Hamzah, R. I. R. Artificial neural network model for monitoring oil film regime in spur gear based on acoustic emission data. Shock Vib., 2015, 1, 1–12.
12. Shaban, K., El-Hag, A., and Matveev, A. A cascade of artificial neural networks to predict transformers oil parameters. IEEE Trans. Dielect. Electr. Insul., 2009, 16, 516–523.
13. Ewert, P. and Kowalski, C. T. Neural detector of rolling bearing faults. Electr. Machines – Trans. J., 2011, 92, 205–209 (in Polish).
14. Gao, R. X. Neural networks for machine condition monitoring and fault diagnosis. In Condition Monitoring and Control for Intelligent Manufacturing (Wang, L. and Gao, R. X., eds). Springer-Verlag, London, Great Britain, 2006, 167–188.
15. Sinha, A. N., Mukherjee, P. S., and De, A. Assessment of useful life of lubricants using artificial neural network. Ind. Lubr. Tribol., 2000, 52, 105–109.
16. Balabin, R. M., Lomakina, E. I., and Safieva, R. Z. Neural network (ANN) approach to biodiesel analysis: analysis of biodiesel density, kinematic viscosity, methanol and water contents using near infrared (NIR) spectroscopy. Fuel, 2011, 90, 2007–2015.
17. ASTM D287-12, Standard Test Method for API Gravity of Crude Petroleum and Petroleum Products (Hydrometer Method). American Society of Testing and Materials International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2012.
18. ASTM D445-15, Standard Test Method for Kinematic Viscosity of Transparent and Opaque Liquids (and Calculation of Dynamic Viscosity). American Society of Testing and Materials International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2015.
19. PN-C-04147:1976 Petroleum Products. Test for Lubricating Properties of Oils and Greases (Polish Standard). Polish Committee for Standardization, 1976.
20. ASTM D664, Standard Test Method for Acid Number of Petroleum Products by Potentiometric Titration. American Society of Testing and Materials International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2011.
21. ASTM D5800-08, Standard Test Method for Evaporation Loss of Lubricating Oils by the Noack Method. American Society of Testing and Materials International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2008.
22. Griffiths, R. P. and de Haseth, J. A. Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrometry. Second Edition. John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, USA, 2007.
23. ASTM E2412-04, Standard Practice for Condition Monitoring of Used Lubricants by Trend Analysis Using Fourier Transform Infrared (FT-IR) Spectrometry. American Society of Testing and Materials International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2004.24. ASTM D7412-09, Standard Test Method for Condition Monitoring of Phosphate Antiwear Additives in In-Service Petroleum and Hydrocarbon Based Lubricants by Trend Analysis Using Fourier Transform Infrared (FT-IR) Spectrometry. American Society of Testing and Materials International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2009.