The purpose of the work is to test the suitability of commercially available NiTi alloys for application as seismic protection material. Two different NiTi alloys are characterized mechanically. One of these alloys is fully austenitic at room temperature, while the other has an austenite start temperature above room temperature, but a martensite start temperature below room temperature. The two alloys show only a small temperature region with pseudoelastic behaviour. Modelling was performed to investigate whether combining two different materials in one damper configuration provides a damper with a broad range of temperatures with good damping characteristics.
1. Saadat, S., Salichs, J., Noori, M., Hou, Z., Davoodi, H., Bar-on, I., Suzuki, Y. and Masuda, A. An overview of vibration and seismic application of NiTi shape memory alloy. Smart Mat. Struct., 2002, 11, 218–229.
2. van der Eijk, C., Zhang, Z. L. and Akselsen, O. M. Seismic dampers based on shape memory alloys: metallurgical background and modeling. In Proceedings of Third European Conference on Structural Control, 3ECSC, Vienna, Austria, 12–15 July 2004 (Flesch, R. et al., eds). Vienna University of Technology, 2005, M1–5.
3. Song, G., Ma, N. and Li, H.-N. Applications of shape memory alloys in civil structures. Eng. Struct., 2006, 28, 1266–1274.
4. Janke, L., Czaderski, C., Motavalli, M. and Ruth, J. Applications of shape memory alloys in civil engineering structures – overview, limits and new ideas. Mat. Struct., 2005, 38, 578–592.
5. Dolce, M. and Cardone, D. Mechanical behaviour of shape memory alloys for seismic applications; 2. Austenite NiTi wires subjected to tension. Int. J. Mech. Sci., 2001, 43, 2657–2677.
6. Otsuka, K. and Ren, X. Physical metallurgy of Ti-Ni-based shape memory alloys. Progress Mat. Sci., 2005, 50, 511–678.
7. van der Eijk, C., Olsen, J. S. and Zhang, Z. L. Fitness for purpose evaluation of two NiTi alloys for seismic damping. In Proceedings of Fourth World Conference on Structural Control and Monitoring (4WCSCM), 11–13 July 2006, San Diego, California, U.S.A. (to appear).
8. Brinson, L. C. One-dimensional constitutive behaviour of shape memory alloys: thermomechanical derivation with non-constant material functions and redefined martensite internal variable. J. Intell. Mat. Systems Struc., 1993, 4, 229–242.
9. Olsen, J. S. Seismic Dampers with Composite NiTi-Wires – A New Damper System. M.Sc. thesis, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Trondheim, Norway 2006.