Applications of a Cu-based shape memory alloy in monuments retrofitting were conceived, designed, and tested. The polycrystalline nature of the material requires a preliminary discussion in order to allow the extension of properties which are well known for monocrystalline specimens. Furthermore, one of the main drawbacks of the investigated alloy is its brittleness. Therefore, fatigue tests were carried out and the results of those conducted under cycles of torsion loading–unloading are reported. In particular, the identification of the response range, which is most suitable for structural engineering applications, is pursued.
1. Achenbach, M., Atanackovic, T. and Muller, I. A model for memory alloys in plane strain. Int. J. Solids Struct., 1986, 22, 171–193.
2. Fremond, M. Mécanique des milieux continues. C. R. Acad. Sci., Série II, 1987, 304, 239–244.
3. Patoor, E. and Berveiller, M. Les Alliages à Memoire de Forme. Hermès, Paris, 1990.
4. Torra, V. (ed.). Proceedings COMETT Course: the Science and Technology of Shape Memory Alloys. University of Balears Islands, Palma de Mallorca, Spain, 1989.
5. Volkov, A., Evard, M., Kurzeneva, L., Likhachev, V. and Sacharov, V. Mathematical modelling of martensitic inelasticity and shape memory effects. Tech. Phys., 1996, 41, 1084–1101.
6. Leclercq, S. and Lexcellent, C. A general macroscopic description of the thermo-mechanical behavior of shape memory alloys. J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 1996, 44, 953–980.
7. Berezovski, A., Engelbrecht, J. and Maugin, G. A thermoelastic wave propagation in inhomogeneous media. Arch. Appl. Mech., 2000, 70, 694–706.
8. Funakubo, H. Shape Memory Alloys. Gordon and Breach Science Publishers, 1987.
9. Saadat, S., Salichs, J., Noori, M., Hou, Z., Davoodi, H., Bar-on, I., Suzuki, Y. and Masuda, A. An overview of vibration and seismic applications of NiTi shape memory alloy. Smart Mater. Struct., 2002, 11, 218–229.
10. Casciati, F., Magonette, G. and Marazzi, F. Technology of Semiactive Devices and Applications in Vibration Mitigation. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, UK, 2006.
11. Auricchio, F., Faravelli, L., Magonette, G. and Torra, V. (eds). Shape Memory Alloys. Advances in Modelling and Applications. CIMNE, Barcelona, Spain, 2001.
12. Volkov, A. and Casciati, F. Simulation of dislocation and transformation plasticity in shape memory alloy polycrystals. In Shape Memory Alloys. Advances in Modelling and Applications (Auricchio, F., Faravelli, L., Magonette, G. and Torra, V., eds). CIMNE, Barcelona, Spain, 2001, 88–104.
13. Casciati, S. and Faravelli, L. Thermo-mechanic characterization of a Cu-based shape memory alloy. In Proceedings SE04, Osaka, Japan (Tachibana, E., Spencer, B. F., and Mukai, Y., eds). Bandoh Printing, Osaka, 2004, 377–382.
14. Casciati, F. and Faravelli, L. Experimental characterisation of a Cu-based shape memory alloy toward its exploitation in passive control devices. J. Phys. IV, 2004, 115, 299–306.
15. Casciati, S. and Faravelli, L. Structural components in shape memory alloy for localized energy dissipation. Comput. Struct., 2007 (accepted).
16. Galluzzo, A. Durabilità di elementi strutturali in lega a memoria di forma. Master’s Degree Thesis, Dept. of Structural Mechanics, University of Pavia, 2006.
17. Casciati, S. and Faravelli, L. Fatigue tests of a Cu-based shape memory alloy. In Proceedings of 4th World Conference on Structural Control & Monitoring, San Diego, 2006 (to appear).