THE CHARACTERISTICS OF COAL AND OIL SHALE IN THE COASTAL SEA AREAS OF HUANGXIAN COALFIELD, EASTERN CHINA; pp. 204–217Full article in PDF format | doi: 10.3176/oil.2015.3.02
Coal and oil shale quality is important to evaluate for mining purposes worldwide. In order to evaluate the quality and analyze the mineralization of coal and oil shale in the Paleogene Lijiaya Formation in Huangxian Coalfield, Eastern China, 27 samples were studied by the methods of geochemistry, sedimentology and coal geology. The results indicated that coal belonged to brown coal with high moisture content, low-medium ash yield and low sulfur content. It is high-quality coal that is suitable for industrial electricity generation. However, the quality of oil shale varied by layers, while three quality levels could be distinguished: high-quality oil shale was located in layers A-1 and B with a thickness of 2.5 m, medium-quality oil shale was deposited in layer A-2 with a thickness of 1.71 m, and poor-quality oil shale was found in layers A-3 and C with a thickness of 1.55 m. So, oil shale layer A can be mined together with coal bed 1, while oil shale layer B can be extracted separately and layer C as a perspective resource would be subject to mining in future.
1. Emre Altun, N., Hicyilmaz, C., Hwang, J.-Y., Suat Bagci, A. Evaluation of a Turkish low quality oil shale by flotation as a clean energy source: Material characterization and determination of flotation behavior. Fuel Process. Technol., 2006, 87(9), 783–791.
2. Wolela, A. Fossil fuel energy resources of Ethiopia: Oil shale deposits. J. Afr. Earth Sci., 2006, 46(3), 263–280.
3. Liu, G. J., Zheng, L. G., Gao, L. F., Zhang, H. Y., Peng, Z. H. The characterization of coal quality from the Jining coalfield. Energy, 2005, 30(10), 1903–1914.
4. Wang, Z. F., Li, M. Y., Wang, B. S. Maceral and geochemical characteristics of coal seam and oil shale in Huangxian Basin. Coal Geology & Exploration, 2007, 35(4), 12–14 (in Chinese with English abstract).
5. Sun, Y. Z., Wang, B. S., Lin, M. Y. Maceral and geochemical characteristics of coal seam 1 and oil shale 1 in fault-controlled Huangxian Basin, China. Org. Geochem., 1998, 29(1–3), 583–591.
6. Xu, S. C., Dong, Q. S., Yan, L. P., Yu, W. B., Du, J. F., Hou, G. F. The characteristics and the formation mechanism of the oil shale in Huangxian Faulted Basin, Shandong Province. Journal of Jilin University (Earth Science Edition), 2006, 36(6), 954–958 (in Chinese with English abstract).
7. Liu, Y., Liu, H. Y., Lv, D. W., Li, Z. X., Wang, D. D., Wang, P. G., Lin, X. W. Paleogene coal and oil shale paragenetic association types and development features in Huangxian Basin. Coal Geology of China, 2014, 26(1), 10–15 (in Chinese with English abstract).
8. Li, Z. X., Wei, J. C., Li, S. C., Han, M. L., Lan, H. X. 1998. The basin-filling features and sequence division in the Paleogene Huangxian fault basin, Shandong. Lithofacies Palaeogeography, 1998, 18(4), 1–8 (in Chinese with English abstract).
9. Li, Z. X., Wei, J. C., Lan, H. X., Han, M. L., Li, S. C. The high-resolution sequence division in Paleogene faulted Basin of Huangxian. Coal Geology of China, 2000, 12(1), 9–12 (in Chinese with English abstract).
10. Du, J. F., Liu, Z. J., Zhang, J., Zhang, L., He, J. L., Ren, Y. X., Wang, J. D. Characteristics and formation mechanism of oil shale in the upper member of the Dalazi Formation in the Songjiang Basin, Jilin. Geology in China, 2008, 35(1), 79–87 (in Chinese with English abstract).
11. Zhang, J. S., Xu, B., Pang, X. Y., Wie, W., Wang, Y. Evaluation of Devonian marine source rocks in northern margin of Heshentuoluogai Basin. Natural Gas Geoscience, 2012, 23(3), 556–560 (in Chinese with English abstract).
12. Gibling, M. R., Ukakimaphan, Y., Srisuk, S. Oil shale and coal in intermontane basins of Thailand. Am. Assoc. Petr. Geol. B., 1985, 69(5), 760–766.
13. Gao, Y., Wang, Y. L., He, D. X., Meng, P., Wu, Y. Q., Wang, Z. X., Wang, G., Zhang, H., Gong, J. C., Yang, H., Wang, Y. X. Shale gas potential and organic geochemical characteristics of oil shale in Southeast of Junggar Basin. Natural Gas Geoscience, 2013, 24(6), 1196–1204 (in Chinese with English abstract).
14. Eugster, H. P., Hardier, L. A. Sedimentation in an Ancient Playa-Lake Complex: The Wilkins Peak Member of the Green River Formation of Wyoming. Geol. Soc. Am. Bull., 1975, 86(3), 319–334.
15. Zeng, Q. H., Qian, L., Liu, D. H., Xiao, X. M., Tian, H., Shen, J. G., Li, X. Q. Organic petrological study on hydrocarbon generation and expulsion from organic-rich black shale and oil shale. Acta Sedimentary Sinica, 2006, 24(1), 113–122.
16. Fang, Y. M. Experimental research of industry analysis on coal. Science & Technology Information, 2013, 7, 424–425 (in Chinese with English abstract).
17. Li, Z. X., Wei, J. C., Yu, J. F., Liu, Y., Liu, H. Y., Lv, D. W. Coal Geology, Geology Publishing House, Beijing, 2009.
18. Yang, Q, Pan, Y. G. Coal Metamorphism Characteristics and Geological Factors of Permo-Carboniferous in North China, Publishing House, Beijing, 1988.
19. Chalmers, G. R. L., Boyd, R., Diessel, C. F. K. Accommodation-based coal cycles and significant surface correlation of low-accommodation Lower Cretaceous coal seams, Lloydminster heavy oil field, Alberta, Canada: Implications for coal quality distribution. Am. Assoc. Petr. Geol. B., 2013, 97(8), 1347–1369.
20. Shadle, L. J., Seshadri, K. S., Wang, Y.-H. C. Characterization of shale oils. 2. Analysis of the flash pyrolysis products of oil shale in the Green River Formation. Fuel Process. Technol., 1994, 37(2), 121–142.
21. Dong, Q. S., Wang, L. X., Yu, W. B., Liu, Z. J., Zhang, H. L., Hou, G. F. The key parameters of oil shale resource appraisement and its evaluating methods. Journal of Jilin University (Earth Science Edition), 2006, 36(6), 899–903 (in Chinese with English abstract).
22. Sun, P. C., Liu, Z. J., Gratzer, R., Xu, Y. B., Liu, R., Li, B. Y., Meng, Q. T., Xu, J. J. Oil yield and bulk geochemical parameters of oil shales from the Songliao and Huadian basins, China: a grade classification approach. Oil Shale, 2013, 30(3), 402–418.
23. Lin, Wu, Liu, Z. Q. Organic geochemical characteristics study of oil shale in Changle, Shandong. West-China Exploration Engineering, 2011, 9, 71–73 (in Chinese with English abstract).
24. Lin, Wu. Correlation research on organic geochemical and oil content of oil shale in Wutu coalfield, Changle, Shandong. Neijiang Technology, 2013, 1, 56–57 (in Chinese with English abstract).
25. Liu, Z. J., Meng, Q. T., Liu, R. Characteristics and genetic types of continental oil shales in China. Journal of Palaeogeography, 2009, 11(1), 105–114 (in Chinese with English abstract).
26. Xiong, B., Li, X. Q., Zhong, N. N., Wang, T. G., Fan, Y. C., Li, P. J. Hydrocarbon-generating macerals of Paleogene organic source rocks in Huangxian Basin. Journal of Jianghan Petroleum Institute, 1997, 19(2), 23–28 (in Chinese with English abstract).
27. Speight, J. G. Handbook of Coal Analysis. A series of monographs on analytical chemistry and its applications, Volume 166. John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
28. Zhao, L. Y., Chen, J., Wang, T. S. Grade dividing and composition of oil shale in China. Geoscience, 1991, 5(4), 423–429 (in Chinese with English abstract).29. Cook, A. C., Sherwood, N. R. Classification of oil shales, coals and other organic-rich rocks. Org. Geochem., 1991, 17(2), 211–222.
Back to Issue