Sliding wear of TiC-NiMo and Cr3C2-Ni cermet particles reinforced FeCrSiB matrix HVOF sprayed coatings; pp. 203–211Full article in PDF format | doi: 10.3176/eng.2013.3.03
In the current article, high-velocity oxy-fuel (HVOF) sprayed composite powder TiC-NiMo and Cr3C2-Ni cermet particles reinforced self-fluxing alloy matrix (FeCrSiB) coatings were studied. The actual content of the reinforcement in the sprayed coatings was smaller in comparison with the feedstock powders. Cermet particles were deformed at the impact with the substrate, deformation was more remarkable in the case of the TiC-NiMo particles. Sprayed coatings exhibited a structure with a number of defects, like voids and cracks, whereas the latter were more pronounced in reinforced coatings. Despite the bigger number of defects, cermet particles reinforced coatings had up to 1.2 times higher surface hardness than the unreinforced coating. TiC-NiMo particles reinforced coating demonstrated 1.8 times higher sliding wear resistance than the unreinforced coating. Cr3C2-Ni particles reinforced coating showed 1.3–2.8 times higher sliding wear resistance in comparison with the unreinforced coating, depending on the series of tests. Addition of cermet particles allowed to increase the resistance of the FeCrSiB matrix to deformation and scuffing.
1. Yan, H., Zhang, P., Yu, Z., Li, C. and Li, R. Development and characterization of laser surface cladding (Ti,W)C reinforced Ni-30Cu alloy composite coating on copper. Optics Laser Technol., 2012, 44, 1351–1358.
2. Yuan, X., Liu, G., Jin, H. and Chen, K. In situ synthesis of TiC reinforced metal matrix composite (MMC) coating by self-propagating high temperature synthesis. J. Alloys Compounds, 2011, 529, L301–L303.
3. Kiliç, F., Gül, H., Aslan, S., Alp, A. and Akbulut, H. Effect of CTAB concentration in the electrolyte on the tribological properties of nanoparticle SiC reinforced Ni metal matrix composite (MMC) coatings produced by electrodeposition. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochem. Eng. Aspects, 2013, 419, 53–60.
4. Davis, J. R. Handbook of Thermal Spray Technology. ASM International, Materials Park, 2004.
5. Määttä, A., Kanerva, U. and Vuoristo, P. Structure and tribological characteristics of HVOF coatings sprayed from powder blends of Cr3C2-25NiCr and NiCrSiB alloy. J. Thermal Spray Technol., 2011, 20, 366–371.
6. Chen, H., Xu, C., Qu, J., Hutchings, J. M. and Shipway, P. H. Sliding wear behaviour of laser clad coatings based upon a nickel-based self-fluxing alloy co-deposited with conventional and nanostructured tungsten carbide-cobalt hardmetals. Wear, 2005, 259, 801–806.
7. Kim, H.-J., Hwang, S.-Y., Lee, C.-H. and Juvanon, P. Assessment of wear performance of flame sprayed and fused Ni-based coatings. Surf. Coat. Technol., 2003, 172, 262–269.
8. Zikin, A., Antonov, M., Hussainova, I., Katona, L. and Gavrilović, A. High temperature wear of cermet particle reinforced NiCrBSi hardfacings. Tribol. Int. Forthcoming.
9. Sarjas, H., Goljandin, D., Kulu, P., Mikli, V., Surženkov, A. and Vuoristo, P. Wear resistant thermal sprayed composite coatings based on iron self-fluxing alloy and recycled cermet powders. Medžiagotyra (Materials Science), 2012, 18, 34–39.
10. Surzhenkov, A., Vallikivi, A., Mikli, V., Viljus, M., Vilgo, T. and Kulu, P. Wear resistant self-fluxing alloy based TiC-NiMo and Cr3C2-Ni hardmetal particles reinforced composite coatings. In Proc. 2nd Int. Conference INDUSTRIAL ENGINEERING & MANAGEMENT. Prešov, Slovak Republic, 2012, 34–37.
11. Surzhenkov, A., Kulu, P., Tarbe, R., Mikli, V., Sarjas, H. and Latokartano, J. Wear resistance of laser-cladded thermal sprayed coatings. Estonian J. Eng., 2009, 15, 318–328.
12. Pirso, J., Viljus, M., Juhani, K. and Kuningas, M. Three-body abrasive wear of TiC-NiMo cermets. Tribol. Int., 2012, 43, 340–346.
13. Hussainova, I. Some aspects of solid particle erosion of cermets. Tribol. Int., 2001, 34, 89–93.
14. Zhang, Z. Q., Li, G. L., Wang, H. D., Xu, B. and Piao, Z. Monitoring fatigue wear of the coating based on acoustic emission. Tribology, 2012, 32, 89–95.15. Ryabchikov, A., Lille, H., Toropov, S., Reitsnik, R., Surženkov, A. and Kulu, P. Investigation of residual stresses in flame sprayed Ni-based wear resistant coatings by the hole-drilling and X-ray methods. Mater. Sci. Forum. Forthcoming.
Back to Issue