The effect of surface pre-treatment and coating post-treatment to the properties of TiN coatings; pp. 185–192Full article in PDF format
| doi: 10.3176/eng.2012.3.03
Nowadays physical vapour deposited (PVD) coatings are widely used in a variety of different applications to reduce the wear of tools. Thin hard coatings have good wear resistance only when they have good adhesion and certain surface roughness. Thus, dry micro-abrasive blasting method with SiC abrasive was implemented as a pre-treatment process on WC-Co substrates. Post-treatment was conducted by using drag grinding method. The effect of surface pre- and post-treatment on the adhesion and tribological properties of TiN hard coatings have been investigated. TiN hard coatings were deposited by means of lateral rotating cathode arc method with the thickness of 2.3 µm. The surface roughness was measured by means of Mahr Perthometer and the standard Rockwell adhesion test was implemented to evaluate the adhesion of PVD TiN coatings. Tribological properties were determined by ball-on-disk method. The experimental part was focused on the effect of microblasting on the tribological properties of the coating. The relation between post-treatment of the coating and friction coefficient is indicated.
1. Aihuaa, L., Jianxina, D., Haibinga, C., Yangyanga, C. and Juna, Z. Friction and wear properties of TiN, TiAlN, AlTiN and CrAlN PVD nitride coatings. Int. J. Refract. Metals Hard Mater., 2012, 31, 82–88.
2. Jakubeczyova, D., Hvizdoš, P. and Selecka, M. Characterization of thin PVD coatings deposited on PM high speed steel. Powder Metallurgy Progr., 2010, 10, 146–156.
3. Gregor, A. Hard PVD Coatings for Tooling. PhD Thesis, Tallinn, TUT Press, 2010.
4. Sivitski, A. Sliding Wear of PVD Hard Coatings: Fatique and Measurement Aspect. PhD Thesis, Tallinn, TUT Press, 2010.
5. Lind, L., Peetsalu, P., Põdra, P., Adoberg, E., Veinthal, R. and Kulu, P. Description of punch wear mechanism during fine blanking process. In Proc. 7th International Conference DAAAM Baltic Industrial Engineering. Tallinn, 2010, 504–509.
6. Dobrzański, L. A., Polok, M. and Adamiak, M. Structure and properties of wear resistance PVD coatings deposited onto X37CrMoV5-1 type hot work steel. Mater. Proc. Technol., 2005, 164–165, 843–849.
7. Dobrzański, L. A., Pakuła, D., Křiž, A., Soković, M. and Kopač, J. Tribological properties of the PVD and CVD coatings deposited onto the nitride tool ceramics. Mater. Proc. Technol., 2006, 175, 179–185.
8. Riedl, A., Schalk, N., Czettl, C., Sartory, B. and Mitterer, C. Tribological properties of Al2O3 hard coatings modified by mechanical blasting and polishing post-treatment. Wear, accepted online 12 May 2012.
9. Harlin, P., Carlsson, P., Bexell, U. and Olsson, M. Influence of surface roughness of PVD coatings on tribological performance in sliding contacts. Surface Coat. Technol., 2006, 201, 4253–4259.
10. Ostwald, P. F. and Muñoz, J. Manufacturing Processes and Systems, 9th ed. J. Wiley, 1997.
11. García Navas, V., Ferreres, I., Marañón, J. A., Garcia-Rosales, C. and Gil Sevillano, J. Electro-discharge machining (EDM) versus hard turning and grinding – comparison of residual stresses and surface integrity generated in AISI O1 tool steel. Mater. Proc. Technol., 2008, 195, 186–194.
12. Barbatti, C., Garcia, J., Pitonak, R., Pinto, H., Kostka, A., Di Prinzio, A., Staia, M. H. and Pyzalla, A. R. Influence of micro-blasting on the microstructure and residual stresses of CVD κ-Al2O3 coatings. Surface Coat. Technol., 2009, 203, 3708–3717.
13. Podgursky, V., Adoberg, E., Surženkov, A., Kimmari, E., Viljus, M., Mikli, V., Hartelt, M., Wäsche, R., Šíma, M. and Kulu, P. Dependence of the friction coefficient on roughness parameters during early stage fretting of (Al,Ti)N coated surfaces. Wear
, 2011, 271
, 853–858. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.wear.2011.03.006Back to Issue