This work reports on the tribological performance of three different commercial hard PVD coatings (TiN, TiCN and nACo) with lubricating extra films of Al2O3, Ni-WS2 and diamond-like carbon (DLC). WC-Co hardmetal has been used as substrate material. Wear tests, employing two counter bodies of Al2O3 and hardmetal WC-Co, were performed for the PVD coatings with and without the extra films. The results showed that the presence of DLC extra film reduces the coefficient of friction of the PVD hard coatings TiN and nACo. Furthermore, the wear of TiN coatings was reduced in the presence of an extra Ni-WS2 lubricant film.
1. Sivitski, A. Sliding Wear of PVD Hard Coatings: Fatigue and Measurement Aspects. PhD Thesis, TUT Press, 2010.
2. Stachowick, G.W. and Batchelor, A.W. Engineering Tribology. Butterworth-Heinemann, Boston, 2001.
3. Gao, Y., Wang, C., Yao, M. and Liu, H. The resistance to wear and corrosion of laser-cladding Al2O3 ceramic coating on Mg alloy. Appl. Surf. Sci., 2007, 253, 5306–5311.
4. Voevodin, A. A. and Donley, M. S. Preparation of amorphous diamond-like carbon by pulsed laser deposition: a critical review. Surf. Coat. Tech., 1996, 82, 199–213.
5. Kennedy, F. E., Lidhagen, D., Erdemir, A., Woodford, J. B. and Kato, T. Tribological behaviour of hard carbon coatings on steel substrates. Wear, 2003, 255, 854–858.
6. Taube, K. and Bewilogua K. Encyclopedia of Materials: Science and Technology. Elsevier, 2001, 9286–9293.
7. Spalvins, T. Deposition of MoS2 films by physical sputtering and their lubrication properties in vacuum. ASLE Trans., 1969, 12, 36–43.
8. Marin, E., Guzman, L., Lanzutti, A., Fedrizzi, L. and Saikkonen, M. Chemical and electrochemical characterization of hybrid PVD + ALD hard coatings on tool steel. Electrochem. Commun., 2009, 11, 2060–2063.
10. Aarik, J., Aidla, A., Kiisler, A.-A., Uustare, T. and Sammelselg, V. Influence of substrate temperature on atomic layer growth and properties of HfO2 thin films. Thin Solid Films, 1999, 340, 110–116.