Visualization of strain distribution around the edges of a rectangular foreign object inside the woven carbon fibre specimen; pp. 279–287Full article in PDF format
| doi: 10.3176/eng.2012.3.13
The paper addresses the issue of embedding the rectangular printed circuit board (PCB) – the placeholder for a complex sensor system circuit – in the glass fibre laminate during the lamination. The change of the material mechanical properties due to the presence of foreign objects in the laminate is assessed by experimental testing through standardized methods ASTM D3039, ASTM D6641 and ASTM D3518. Local stress–strain relationship near the PCB in the out-of-plane direction of the specimen are monitored through the use of GOM ARAMIS 2M digital image correlation method scanner. Based on the scanned model, a finite element simulation is generated and validated.
1. Warkentin, D. J. and Crawley, E. F. Embedded electronics for intelligent structures. In Proc. AIAA 32nd Conference on Structures, Structural Dymanics and Materials. Baltimore, 1991. AIAA Paper, AIAA-91-1084CP, 1991, 1322–1331.
2. Kim, K. S., Breslauer, M. and Springer, G. S. The effect of embedded sensors on the strength of composite laminates. J. Reinforced Plastics Composites, 1992, 11, 949–958.
3. Sirkis, J. S., Singh, H., Dasgupta, A. and Chang, C. C. Experimental determination of damage and interaction strain fields near active and passive inclusions embedded in laminated composite materials. In Proc. ADPA/AIAA/ASME/SPIE Conference on Active Materials and Adaptive Structures. Alexandria, USA, 1992, 563–566.
4. Hansen, J. P. and Vizzini, A. J. Fatigue response of a host structure with interlaced embedded devices. J. Intelligent Mater. Syst. Struct., 2000, 11, 902–909.
5. Mall, S. and Coleman, J. M. Monotonic and fatigue loading behavior of quasi-isotropic graphite/epoxy laminate embedded with piezoelectric sensor. Smart Mater. Struct., 1998, 7, 822–832.
6. Paget, C. A. and Levin, K. Structural integrity of composites with embedded piezoelectric ceramic transducer. In Proc. SPIE Conference on Smart Structure and Integrated Systems. Newport Beach, California, 1999, SPIE 3668, 306–312.
7. Acculam Epoxyglas G10/FR4. IDES Prospector. IDES Inc., 2012. http://prospector.ides.com/ DataView.aspx?I=34&TAB=DV_DS&E=112876&SKEY=34.986842.50872380%3A9a0ec215-bdfc-41a9-86ea-7110135e126e&CULTURE=en-US
8. Arlon 45N properties. IDES Prospector. IDES Inc., 2012. http://prospector.ides.com/ DataView.aspx?I=34&TAB=DV_DS&E=120891&SKEY=34.986842.50872380%3A9a0ec215-bdfc-41a9-86ea-7110135e126e&CULTURE=en-US
9. Pohlak, M., Karjust, K. and Küttner, R. Multi-criteria optimization of large composite parts. Composite Struct., 2010, 92, 2146–2152.
10. Pohlak, M. and Majak, J. Optimal material orientation of linear and non-linear elastic 3D anisotropic materials. Meccanica, 2010, 45, 671–680.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11012-009-9262-7Back to Issue