This paper is focused on the measurement and analysis of supply voltage quality in low voltage industrial power systems in Estonia. A practical method for analysis of supply voltage quality parameters, implementing stochastic theory, is discussed. Measurement results of supply voltage quality parameters – voltage magnitude, voltage events, harmonics, flicker and unbalance in industrial 0.4 kV power systems of Estonia – are shown.
1. Lawrence, R. and Moncrief, B. Compatibility saves money. Specification guidelines to improve power quality immunity and reduce plant operating costs. IEEE Ind. Appl., 2004, 10, 10–17.
2. Kyei, J. Analysis and Design of Power Acceptability Curves for Industrial Loads. Thesis and Final Report, PSERC publication 01–28, Cornell University, New York, 2001.
3. Bhattacharyya, S., Myrzik, J. M. A. and Kling, W. L. Consequences of poor power quality – an overwiew. In Proc. University’s Power Engineering Conference, 2007. Brighton, UK, 2007, 651–656.
4. Bendre, A., Divan, D., Kranz, W. and Brumsickle, W. E. Are voltage sags destroying equipment? Equipment failures caused by power quality disturbances. IEEE Ind. Appl., 2006, 12, 12–21.
5. Seljeseth, H., Sand, K. and Fossen, K. E. Laboratory tests of electrical appliances immunity to voltage swells. In Proc. International Conference on Electricity Distribution (CIRED). Prague, 2009, paper 0781.
6. Lawrence, R. Voltage optimization. Achieving regulated, balanced voltage on 600 V distribution systems. IEEE Ind. Appl., 2006, 12, 28–33.
7. Novitskiy, A. and Schau, H. Energy saving effect due to the voltage reduction in industrial electrical networks. In Proc. 7th International Conference on Electric Power Quality and Supply Reliability. Kuressaare, Estonia, 2010, 67–72.
8. Bollen, M. H. J. Understanding Power Quality Problems: Voltage Sags and Interruptions. IEEE Press, John Wiley & Sons, 2000.
9. Styvaktakis, E. Automating Power Quality Analysis. PhD Thesis. Chalmers University of Technology, Göteborg, Sweden, 2002.
10. Feng, X., Peterson, W., Yang, F., Wickramasekara, G. M. and Finney, J. Smarter grids are more efficient. Voltage and var optimization reduces energy losses and peak demands. ABB Review, 2009, No. 3, 33–37.
11. Kjølle, G. H., Seljeseth, H., Heggset, J. and Trengereid, F. Quality of supply management by means of interruption statistics and voltage quality measurements. European Trans. Electrical Power, 2003, 13, 373–379.
12. Kuchumov, L. A. The estimation and optimization algorithms of electric regimes in power supply networks. Presented at the 3rd International Conference on Electric Power Quality and Supply Reliability. Haapsalu, Estonia, 2002.
13. Piel, J. K. and Carnovale, D. J. Economic and electrical benefits of harmonic reduction methods in commercial facilities. Ind. Appl., Eaton Electrical Inc., USA, 2004.
14. Bhattacharyya, S., Wang, Z., Cobben, J. F. G., Myrzik, J. M. A. and Kling, W. L. Analysis of power quality performance of the Dutch medium and low voltage grids. In Proc. 13th International Conference on Harmonics and Quality of Power ICHQP, New South Wales, 2008.
15. Klaic, Z., Nikolovski, S. and Baus, Z. Statistical analysis of voltage sags in distribution network according to EN 50160 Standard. In Proc. 19th International Conference on Electricity Distribution CIRED 2007. Vienna, 2007, paper 0157.
16. Milanović, J. V. Course on Power Quality Issues in Contemporary and Future Power Networks. University of Manchester, Manchester, UK, 2010.
17. Renner, H. Trends in power quality. Presentation at CEER Workshop. Lisbon, 2008. Available at: www.energy-regulators.eu
18. Renner, H. Review of flicker objectives. Presentation at EURELECTRIC-CEER Workshop. Austria, 2009. Available at: www.energy-regulators.eu
19. Robert, A. Power quality monitoring at the interface between transmission system and users. In Proc. Harmonics and Quality of Power Conference. USA, 2000, vol. 2, 425–430.
20. Santarius, P., Krejci, P., Chmelikova, Z. and Ciganek, J. Long-term monitoring of power quality parameters in regional distribution networks in the Czech Republic. In Proc. 13th International Conference on Harmonics and Quality of Power ICHQP. New South Wales, 2008.
21. Seljeseth, H. and Sand, K. Next generation power quality management. NORDAC 2008, Conference Papers, Trondheim, SINTEF Energiforskning 2008.
22. Seljeseth, H. Advanced Large Scale Power Quality Monitoring System – the Complete Measurement Chain. SINTEF report A13627, Norway, 2009.
23. Caramia, P. and Verde, P. Cost-related harmonic limits. In Power Engineering Society Winter Meeting, IEEE, Singapur, 2000, 4, 2846–2851.
24. Estonian Standard EVS-EN 50160:2007, Voltage Characteristics of Electricity Supplied by Public Distribution Networks. Estonian Centre for Standardization, 2007.
25. GOST 13109: Electric Energy. Electromagnetic Compatibility of Technical Equipment. Power Quality Limits in Public Electrical Systems. State Standard of the Russian Federation, 1997.
26. ANSI C84.1-2006, American National Standard for Electric Power Systems and Equipment-Voltage Ratings (60 Hertz). NEMA, 2006.
27. Vinnal, T. Study of Electric Power Consumption in Estonian Companies and Recommendations for Optimization of Consumption. Ph.D. Thesis. Tallinn University of Technology, Tallinn, TUT Press, 2011.
28. Vinnal, T., Kalda, H. and Janson, K. Power losses of induction motors in relation to supply voltage quality. In Proc. PCIM Conference 2010. Nuremberg, Germany, 2010, 636–642, paper 109, CD ROM.
29. Vinnal, T., Janson, K. and Kalda, H. Analysis of power consumption and losses in relation to supply voltage quality. In Proc. 13th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications EPE ’09. Barcelona, Spain, 2009, paper 371, CD ROM.
30. Vinnal, T., Janson, K., Kalda, H. and Kütt, L. Analysis of supply voltage quality, power consumption and losses affected by shunt capacitors for power factor correction. In Proc. 7th International Conference Electric Power Quality and Supply Reliability. Kuressaare, Estonia, 2010, 53–60.
31. Meldorf, M., Tammoja, H., Treufeldt, Ü. and Kilter, J. Jaotusvõrgud. TUT Press, Tallinn, 2007.
32. Desmet, J. Study and Analyses of Cable Losses in LV Cables under Harmonic Conditions. Ph.D. Thesis, ISBN 978-90-5682-962-9, 2008.
33. Elmoudi, A. A. Evaluation of Power System Harmonic Effects on Transformers. Hot Spot Calculation and Loss of Life Estimation. D.Sc. Thesis, Helsinki UT, Espoo, 2006.
34. Fuchs, E. F., Roesler, D. J. and Masoum, M. A. S. Are harmonic recommendations according to IEEE and IEC too restrictive? IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, 2004, 19, 1775–1786.
35. Blooming, T. M. and Carnovale, D. J. Harmonic convergence. IEEE Ind. Appl., 2007, 13, 21–27.