A method for mixing molten metal and a compatible electric arc furnace; pp. 220–240Full article in PDF format | doi: 10.3176/eng.2011.3.04
The objective of this paper is to study a novel method for molten metal circulation in an electric arc furnace. That involves research of operating principles, calculation methods and practical test with a pioneer prototype of the furnace. Construction of the electric arc furnace and new methods for mixing the melting metal in this furnace are described. Principles of constructing arc furnaces are specified. Calculation methods, needed for understanding the operation of the furnace are presented. Emphasis is put on the magnetic field and circulation force density calculation. Modelling of the arc furnace and of the involved processes is carried out. Testing of the pioneer prototype is described and the test results are presented. Evaluation of theoretical calculation methods is done by comparing the results with the practical data.
1. Boulet, B., Lalli, G. and Ajersch, M. Modeling and control of an electric arc furnace. In Proc. American Control Conference. Denver, Colorado, 2003.
2. Toulouevski, Y. and Zinurov, I. Innovations in Electric Arc Furnaces. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, 2010.
3. Järvik, J., Janson, K. and Mõlder, H. Patent application: Method for stirring molten metal and electric arc furnace. Owner: Tallinn University of Technology. Priority number: P201100014. Priority date: 04.03.2011.
4. Kim, W. and Yoon, J. Numerical prediction of electromagnetically driven flow in ASEA-SKF ladle refining straight induction stirrer. Ironmaking and Steelmaking, 1991, 18, 446–453.
5. Pal, M., Eriksson, R. and Jönsson P. A computational fluid dynamics model of a 20 Kg induction stirred laboratory scaled ladle. In Proc. COMSOL Multiphysics User’s Conference. Stockholm, KTH, 2005.
6. Larsen, H. Current distribution in the electrodes of industrial three-phase electric smelting furnaces. In Proc. 2006 Nordic COMSOL Conference. Copenhagen, 2006. CD-ROM.
7. McDougall, I. Finite element modeling of electric currents in AC submerged arc furnaces. In Proc. 11th International Congress on Ferroalloys. The Indian Ferro Alloy Producers’ Association, Delhi, India, 2007, vol. 2, 630–637.8. Foias, C., Rosa, R., Manley, O. and Teman, R. Navier-Stokes Equations and Turbulence. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2001.
Back to Issue