Characterization of functional gradient structures in duplex stainless steel castings; pp. 293–300Full article in PDF format
| doi: 10.3176/eng.2009.4.06
Abstract Titanium carbide particle reinforced metal-matrix composite coatings, formed on duplex (austenitic/ferritic) stainless steel castings, were studied. These coatings, developed for wear applications, develop a functional gradient structure through a self-propagating high-temperature synthesis (SHS) of titanium carbide (TiC). This SHS-reaction was ignited in reactive inserts by the heat of liquid steel. The reactive inserts were compressed from mixtures of titanium, carbon and molybdenum powders together with iron or duplex stainless steel powders. The coating microstructure depends on the reactive insert composition. Molybdenum reduced the TiC particle diameter, and reducing the binder content reduced the areal fraction of TiC.
1. Moore, J. J. and Feng, H. J. Combustion synthesis of advanced materials. Part I: Reaction parameters. Progr. Mater. Sci., 1995, 39, 243–273.
2. Moore, J. J. and Feng, H. J. Combustion synthesis of advanced materials. Part II: Classification, applications and modelling. Progr. Mater. Sci., 1995, 39, 275–316.
3. Parashivamurthy, K. I., Kumar, R. K., Seetharamu, S. and Chandrasekharaiah, M. N. Review on TiC reinforced steel composites. J. Mater. Sci., 2001, 36, 4519–4530.
4. Zhang, Z. Q., Shen, P., Wang, Y., Dong, Y. P. and Jiang, Q. C. Fabrication of TiC and TiB2 locally reinforced steel matrix composites using a Fe-Ti-B4C-C system by an SHS-casting route. J. Mater. Sci., 2007, 42, 8350–8356.
5. Choi, Y., Baik, N. I., Lee, J. S., Hong, S. I. and Hahn, Y. D. Corrosion and wear properties of TiC/Ni-Mo composites produced by direct consolidation during a self-propagating high-temperature reaction. Compos. Sci. Technol., 2001, 61, 981–986.
6. Gowtam, D. S., Ziyauddin, M., Mohape, M., Sontakke, S. S., Deshmukh, V. P. and Shah, A. K. In situ TiC-reinforced austenitic steel composite by self-propagating high temperature synthesis. Int. J. Self-Propag. High-Temp. Synth., 2007, 16, 70–78.
7. Gowtam, D. S., Rao, A. G., Mohape, M., Kathkar, V., Deshmukh, V. P. and Shah, A. K. Synthesis and characterization of in-situ reinforced Fe-TiC steel FGMs. Int. J. Self-Propag. High-Temp. Synth., 2008, 17, 227–232.
8. Kim, H. S. On the rule of mixtures for the hardness of particle reinforced composites. Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 2000, A289, 30–33.
9. Humenik, M. and Parikh, N. M. Fundamental concepts related to microstructure and physical properties of cermet systems. J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 1956, 39, 60–63.
10. Moscowitz, D. and Humenik, M. In Modern Developments in Powder Metallurgy. Plenum Press, New York, 1966, Vol. 3.Back to Issue