Application of the indentation method for cracking resistance evaluation of hard coatings on tool steels; pp. 309–317Full article in PDF format
| doi: 10.3176/eng.2009.4.08
In this paper cracking resistance and fatigue properties of five hard coatings – TiN, TiCN, TiAlN, AlTiN and nanocomposite nc-AlTiN/a-Si3N4 (nACo®) on tool steels WeartecTM and Vanadis 6 are evaluated by means of the cyclic Vickers indentation method. The analytical part covers an evaluation of damage evolution of the coated system versus the number of cycles. The comparative adhesion testing was conducted with the use of the Rockwell C technique. It was found that the type of cracks formed in the coated systems under cyclic loading depends on the Young modulus/hardness ratio. The data obtained permits to compare the cracking and fatigue resistance of the coated systems and to select the optimal coating for bulk and sheet metal forming tools.
1. Richter, J. Application of Vickers indentation for assessment of PVD TiN coated new nonledeburitic high-speed steels. Surf. Coat. Tech., 2003, 162, 119–130.
2. Zoestbergen, E. and De Hosson, J. Th. M. Crack resistance of PVD coatings: Influence of surface treatment prior to deposition. Surf. Eng., 2002, 18, 283–288.
3. Tarrés, E., Ramirez, G., Gaillard, Y., Jiménez-Piqué, E. and Llanes, L. Contact fatigue behavior of PVD-coated hardmetals. Int. J. Refract. Met. Hard Mater., 2009, 27, 323–331.
4. Cook, R. F. and Pharr, G. M. Direct observation and analysis of indentation cracking in glasses and ceramics. J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 1990, 73, 787–817.
5. Kim, D. K., Jung, Y.-G., Peterson, I. M. and Lawn, B. R. Cyclic contact fatigue of intrinsically brittle ceramics in contact with spheres. Acta Mater., 1999, 47, 4711–4725.
6. Chiang, S. S., Marshall, D. B. and Evans, A. G. The response of solids to elastic/plastic indentation. II. Fracture initiation. J. Appl. Phys., 1982, 53, 312–317.
7. Holmberg, K., Ronkainen, H., Laukkanen, A., Wallin, K., Hogmark, S., Jacobson, S., Wiklund, U., Souza, R. M. and Ståhle, P. Residual stresses in TiN, DLC and MoS2 coated surfaces with regard to their tribological fracture behaviour. In Proc. 13th Nordic Symposium on Tribology NORDTRIB 2008. Tampere, Finland, 2008, 37 p.
8. Fouvry, S., Liskiewicz, T. and Paulin, C. A global–local wear approach to quantify the contact endurance under reciprocating-fretting sliding conditions. Wear, 2007, 263, 518–531.
9. Palmqvist, S. The work for the formation of a crack during Vickers indentation as a measure of the toughness of hard metals. Arch. Eisenhüttenwes., 1962, 33, 629–634.
10. VDI 3198:1992-08, Coating (CVD, PVD) of Cold Forging Tools. VDI-Verlag, Düsseldorf, 1991. 11. Bouzakis, K.-D., Siganos, A., Leyendecker, T. and Erkens, G. Thin hard coatings fracture propagation during the impact test. Thin Solid Films, 2004, 460, 181–189.
doi:10.1016/j.tsf.2004.02.009Back to Issue