The impact of two newly built port terminals in the Eastern Gulf of Finland on sedimentation processes and coastal zone dynamics; pp. 212–226Full article in PDF format | doi: 10.3176/eng.2009.3.05
The natural coastal zone in the Luga Bay and Bjorkezund Strait are characterized by a positive sediment balance. Recent sediment extraction and significant depth increase within the dredging areas in the vicinity of the newly built oil and coal port terminals in Ust-Luga and Primorsk disturb the dynamic equilibrium and sediment balance in the coastal zone. This activity leads to a change in sediment flows, with a high rate of accumulation in ship channels and an increase of coastal erosion.
1. Kropotkin, P. A. Research of the Ice Age. Proc. Rus. Imp. Geogr. Society, 1876, 7, 717 (in Russian).
2. Hyyppä, E. Post-glacial changes of shore-line in South Finland. Bulletin de la Commission geologique de Finlande, 1937, 120, Helsinki, 225.
3. Markov, K. K. Short geological and geomorphological essay of the northern part of Kingisepp District. Leningrad, 1927 (in Russian).
4. Markov, K. K. Development of the relief in the north-western part of the Leningrad District. Moscow–Leningrad, 1931 (in Russian).
5. Kvasov, D. D. The late-Quaternary history of large lakes and inland seas of Eastern Europe. Annales Academiae Scientiarum Fennicae. Ser. A III. Geologica-Geographica, 1979, 127 (in Russian).
6. Znamenskaya, O. M. and Theremisinova, E. A. Development of the water basins in the eastern part of the Gulf of Finland during the late- and postglacial times. Baltica, 1974, 5, 95–104 (in Russian).
7. Malakhovsky, D. B. (ed.). Geomorphology and Quaternary Deposits of the North-West of USSR. Moscow, 1969 (in Russian).
8. Butylin, V. P., Zhamoida, V. A., Kozin, M. B., Rybalko, A. E. and Spiridonov, M. A. Lithostratigraphy of Late Quaternary deposits of the Gulf of Finland and their correlation with analogues from the Central Baltic. In Geology of the Submarine Sector of the Baltic Shield and Russian Platform as far as the Gulf of Finland. Leningrad, VSEGEI, 1989, 32–51 (in Russian).
9. Spiridonov, M. A., Rybalko, A. E., Butylin, V. P., Spiridonova, E. A., Zhamoida, V. A. and Moskalenko, P. E. Modern data, facts and views on the geological evolution of the Gulf of Finland. In Geological Survey of Finland, Special Paper 6, Espoo, 1988, 95–100.
10. Spiridonov, M. A., Ryabchuk, D. V., Kotilainen, A., Vallius, H., Nesterova, E. N. and Zhamoida, V. A. The Quaternary deposits of the Eastern Gulf of Finland. In Geological Survey of Finland, Special Paper 45, Espoo, 2007, 5–17.
11. Amantov, A. V., Zhamoida, V. A., Manuilov, S. F., Moskalenko, P. E. and Spiridonov, M. A. Geology and mineral resources of the Eastern Gulf of Finland. Computer atlas. Regional Geology and Metallogeny, 2002, 15, 120–133 (in Russian).
12. Orviku, K. and Grano, O. Contemporary coasts. In Geology of the Gulf of Finland (Raukas, A. and Hyvärinen, H., eds.). Tallinn, 1992, 219–239 (in Russian).
13. Soomere, T. Nonlinear ship wake waves as a model of rogue waves and a source of danger to coastal environment. Oceanologia, 2006, 48(S), 185–202.
14. Volkova, E. A., Khramtsov, V. N., Isachenko, G. A., Bublichenko, A. G. and Markova, M. A. Complex Environmental Mapping of the Gulf of Finland Coast (Luga Bay Region). Saint-Petersburg, 2001 (in Russian).
15. Logvinenko, N. V., Barkov, L. K. and Usenkov, S. M. Lithology and litho-dynamics of the modern sediments of the Eastern Gulf of Finland. Leningrad, 1988 (in Russian).
16. Folk, R. L. and Ward, W. C. Brazos River bar – a study in the significance of grain size parameters. J. Sediment. Petrol., 1957, 27, 3–26.
17. Ryabchuk, D. V., Nesterova, E. N., Spiridonov, M. A., Sukhacheva, L. L. and Zhamoida, V. A. Modern sedimentation processes within the coastal zone of the Kurortny District of St. Petersburg (eastern Gulf of Finland). Baltica, 2007, 20, 5–12.
18. Kijko, O. A, Usenkov, S. M., Stogov, I. A. and Lang, E. K. Result of local ecological monitoring of area of building of Technical sulfur transshipment terminal in the Luga Bay. In IX International Environmental Forum “The Baltic Sea Day”. St. Petersburg, 2008, 124–128.
19. Grigoriev, A. G. Regularities of Distribution and Accumulation of Radioactive Nuclides in the Bottom Sediments of the Baltic Sea. PhD thesis, St. Petersburg, 2002 (in Russian).
20. Kotilainen A., Vallius, H. and Ryabchuk, D. V. Seafloor anoxia and modern laminated sediments in coastal basins of the Gulf of Finland, Baltic Sea. Geological Survey of Finland, Special Paper, 45, 2007, 47–60.
21. Petrov, O. V., Ryabchuk, D. V., Spiridonov, M. A. and Zhamoida, V. A.Geological basis for the integrated coastal zone management in conditions of hazardous geodynamic processes. In Proc. 5th European Congress on Regional Geoscientific Cartography and Information System. Earth and Water. Barcelona, 2006, 527–529.22. Volkova, E. A., Khramtsov, V. N. and Isachenko, G. A. (eds.). Natural Environment of the Gulf of Finland and its Coast (Region of Primorsk Terminal). St. Petersburg, 2003.
Back to Issue