FE modelling of multi-walled carbon nanotubes; pp. 77–86Full article in PDF format | doi: 10.3176/eng.2009.2.01
In this paper a theory of multi-walled carbon nanotubes and a suitable way for modelling them using the finite element method is presented. A brief reference to FE modelling of a single-walled carbon nanotube (SWNT) is given as an introduction to modelling of multi-walled carbon nanotubes, consisting of several layers of SWNT. Also, a theory of the connection interface between nanotube layers and its influence on the loading is given. A SWNT finite element model is used to model a multi-walled carbon nanotube (MWNT). A brief theory concerning MWNT is given, as well as a theory of modelling a connecting interface between layers, as a result of van der Waals interactions. Different loading conditions are used as examples of multi-walled carbon nanotubes under specific loads. Results are compared with those given by other authors.
1. Iijima, S. Helical microtubes of graphitic carbon. Nature, 1991, 354, 56–58.
2. Tersoff, J. Energies of fullerenes. Phys. Rev. B, 1992, 46, 46.
3. Yao, X., Han, Q. and Xin, H. Bending buckling behaviours of single and multi walled carbon nanotubes. Comput. Mater. Sci., 2008, 43, 579–590.
4. Meo, M. and Rossi, M. A molecular mechanics based finite element model for strength prediction of single wall carbon nanotubes. Mater. Sci. Eng., 2007, A 454–455, 170–177.
5. Pantano, A., Modica, G. and Capello, F. Multiwalled carbon nanotube reinforced polymer composites. Mater. Sci. Eng., 2008, A 486, 222–227.
6. Kalamkarov, A. L., Georgiades, A. V., Rokkam, S. K., Veedu, V. P. and Ghasemi-Nejhad, M. N. Analytical and numerical techniques to predict carbon nanotubes properties. Int. J. Solids Struct., 2006, 43, 6832–6854.
7. Brcic, M., Canadija, M. and Brnic, J. Structural model of single walled carbon nanotube. Bull. Appl. Math., 2007, 2304, 67–74.
8. Li, C. and Chou, T. W. A structural mechanics approach for the analysis of carbon nanotubes. Int. J. Solids Struct., 2003, 40, 2487–2499.
9. Li, C. and Chou, T. W. Elastic moduli of multi-walled carbon nanotubes and the effect of van der Waals forces. Composites Sci. Technol., 2003, 63, 1517–1524.
Back to Issue