Enhancing of injection mould quotation accuracy; 94–104Full article in PDF format
Abstract Quotation in the field of injection mould manufacturing is a highly complicated task. The simple cause of this is that one must estimate the mould design and manufacturing time and cost, with unknown tool construction and complexity. The aim of the authors is to summarize existing quotation methods and to introduce an experimental cost estimation system, which permits calculation of realistic manufacturing cost and time in advance, based on the local design and manufacturing environment.
1. Ben-Arieh, D. and Lavelle, J. P. Manufacturing cost estimation. J. Eng. Valuation Cost Anal., 2000, 3, 43–55.
2. Dealey, W. Mold quoting: The magic, art and science. Modern Mold Tooling, 2001, 3, 10–18.
3. Mikó, B. and Szántai, M. Artificial intelligence methods in early manufacturing time estimation. In Proc. Third Conference on Mechanical Engineering. Budapest, 2002, 535–539.
4. Lenau, T. and Egebøl, T. Early cost estimation for die casting. In Proc. International Conference on Engineering Design. Praha, 1995, 1007–1016.
5. Chan, S. F., Law, C. K. and Chan, K. K. Computerised price quotation system for injection mould manufacture. J. Mater. Process. Technol., 2003, 139, 212–218.
6. Fagade, A. A. and Kazmer, D. O. Modelling the effects of complexity on manufacturing costs and time-to-market of plastic injection molded products. In Proc. 10th Annual Conference of the Production and Operations Management Society. Charleston, 1999, CD.
7. Wang, H., Zhou, X. H. and Ruan, X. Y. Research on injection mould intelligent cost estimation system and key technologies. Int. J. Adv. Manufact. Technol., 2003, 3, 215–222.
8. Chin, K-S. and Wong, T. N. An expert system for injection mold cost estimation. Adv. Polymer Technol., 1995, 14, 303–314.
9. Shepanski, J. F. Artificial neural systems. In Encyclopedia of Physical Science and Technology, vol. 2. Academic Press, New York, 1992, 65–77. Back to Issue