Annual variation of air-water temperature difference at three Estonian coastal stations; pp. 329–335Full article in PDF format | doi: 10.3176/eng.2013.4.07
Water and air temperatures during 1980–2010 were compared at three coastal stations of Estonia with the aim to estimate the stability conditions of the lower layers of the atmosphere. It is shown that the difference between the air and water temperatures varies during the year and the annual cycle of this variation is different at different measurement sites and also during different wind directions. Measurements at Sõrve demonstrate an unusual situation when the air-sea temperature difference is affected by the wind systems of the Gulf of Riga and Baltic Proper.
1. Clayson, C. A. and Bogdanoff, A. S. The effect of diurnal sea surface temperature warming on climatological air-sea fluxes. J. Climate, 2013, 26, 2546–2556.
2. Kara, A. B., Rochford, P. A. and Hurlburt, H. E. Efficient and accurate bulk parameterizations of air-sea fluxes for use in general circulation models. J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol., 2000, 17, 1421–1438.
3. Rouse, W. R., Oswald, C. M., Binyamin, J., Blanken, P. D., Schertzer, W. M. and Spence, C. Interannual and seasonal variability of the surface energy balance and temperature of Central Great Slave Lake. J. Hydrometeor., 2003, 4, 720–730.
4. Hsu, S. A., Meindl, E. A. and Gilhousen, D. B. Determining the power-law wind-profile exponent under near-neutral stability conditions at sea. J. Appl. Meteorol., 1994, 33, 757–765.
5. Peña, A., Gryning, S.-E. and Hasager, C. B. Measurements and modelling of the wind speed profile in the marine atmospheric boundary layer. Boundary Layer Meteorol., 2008, 129, 479–496.
6. Niros, A., Vihma, T. and Launiainen, J. Marine meteorological conditions and air-sea exchange processes over the Northern Baltic Sea in 1990s. Geophysica, 2002, 38, 59–87.
7. Launiainen, J. and Laurila, T. Wind characteristics at Finnish automatic marine weather stations in the northern Baltic Sea. Finnish Marine Res., 1984, 250, 52–86.8. WMO Guide to Meteorological Instruments and Methods of Observation. WMO-No. 8. Geneva, 2006.
Back to Issue