THE PRODUCTION OF THE WORKSHOP OF POTTER JOHANN REHN OF TARTU (CA 1684–1708); pp. 24–60Full article in PDF format
In Tartu, at the eastern side of Magasini Street, in the territory of the current Orthodox church of Dormition of the Theotokos (Uspenski), the potter Johann Rehn worked between 1684 and 1708. On the basis of two moulds, used for shaping stove tiles, and a lot of production debris, an overview can be obtained of the production of his workshop. The products of the workshop include redware pots with tin glaze, tripod pots and pans with a spout, lids, platters and bowls with multicolour slip and tin glaze, clay colanders, pot-like stove tiles and plate tiles with brown glaze. The production of the workshop under consideration represents the last stage of the tradition of making redware vessels, which spread to Estonia from Germany already in the 15th century. The products of the workshop of Johann Rehn followed, in general terms, rather accurately the fashion of the period. Only the moulds depicting a rider and a fish have so far not been matched with representative finished products.
Back to Issue